• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSUs and A64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svnrd

i'm new at this stuff and i have a question i need answered. I just built a sweet little computer with a AMD 3200+. I was reading reviews for it on newegg.com and saw that people had problems with it if they didn't have at least a 400W PSU. So i got a 400W PSU and it's working fine. What i'm worried about is that if i add any more components to my system that the PSU won't be able to handle the load. i have it running 2 HDs, a DVD-rom, and a fan. I'm thinking about adding another fan and then a dvd burner. anyone have an idea of when i need to worry about upgrading PSUs?

first of all what 400w psu did you get? there is a world of difference between say a powmax 400w psu and a pc power and cooling 400w psu.

i'd suggest getting something on the quality level of a fortron/sparkle, antec, or thermaltake. the fortron 400w is about 62 dollars and will last you a long time. however, if you are going to spend 62 dollars you might as well go to the top of the line 530w sparkle for about 75 and never have to replace your psu ever again. I have 2 of these and they are great psu's.

btw sparkle = fortron. same company.

Back