• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gold or Platinum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charmapsyche

I need to get memory, and I don't have a lot of time 'cause this rig's gotta be up and running.

Two part question

Gold

or

Platinum

Whadya' think?
The free second day shipping is very appealing....

Or should I dish out a couple more bucks and get the:

Corsair

personally I would go with the corsair if you are going to go through zipzoomfly.com, but if not I would definetely check out newegg.com, sometimes there is free shipping on memory.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, I have Newegg open in another window right now, just can't make up my mind.

So which is better though, Platinum or Gold heatsinks?

I personally would not go with PMI. The memory is exactly the same just with a copper heatspreader. They say that it is a cooper-gold and cooper platinum, whatever that means, probably just a copper heatsink. I still would go with the Corsair

Fantastic, thanks for the second opinions, don't have any computer knowledgeable folks 'round here so it's great to jump on here and get confirmation on my crazy thoughts.
-Pete

If I may throw in some advice. If you game then consider upgrading to 1 gig of whichever you decide to get. You will thank me in the future. I sure wish I had when I upgraded. :)

Honestly, I've built and used a number of computers, especially in the last several months for friends/colleagues-, and I haven't noticed a huge difference on all the games I've played. The one's with better latency, faster hard drives, power ect.... have out performed ones without.
-The one I have to my right has a gig and is a lot better at video rendering then the one to my left with 512, but the one to my left boots faster and programs open quicker due to better performing ram...
-I'd have to say quality over quantity. Unless you've got a lot of $ then hey, whatever..... ;)

scanido said:
Yup, Farcry and UT2004 consumes 800+ megs already! I can't imagine ever going back to 512Mb

I hear ya, and I agree!
Like everyone else in this forum, I want more! More power, and speed!
-But just to fulfill the other side of this arguement, I play the new Unreal 2004 multiplayer at full graphics @ 1024 768 on a machine with 512, with absolutely no problems.

Back