• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

difference between LVL1 3500 and 222 special, help fast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
222 Special is BH-6 which overclocks pretty well with tight timings and with a lot of voltage. If you have the cash go for that.

Is this going into your Dell in your sig or another rig?

If it were me, I'd get the lvl 1. Newer games such as Far Cry are needing 1 GB of to play smoothly, and that can only mean more and more will as well. If what you use your computer doesn't need a ton of RAM go for the 222 special.

Edit: Timings don't mean too much once over ddr400. The difference is only noticeable in comparison benchmarks. For general purposes you won't see too much of a difference with timings.

whats the difference between level 1 and level 2? is level 1 bh6 ram? I see it on ebay for half the price of level 2!

disk11 said:
Is this going into your Dell in your sig or another rig?

If it were me, I'd get the lvl 1. Newer games such as Far Cry are needing 1 GB of to play smoothly, and that can only mean more and more will as well. If what you use your computer doesn't need a ton of RAM go for the 222 special.

Edit: Timings don't mean too much once over ddr400. The difference is only noticeable in comparison benchmarks. For general purposes you won't see too much of a difference with timings.

id like to argue with this. raw speed is what gives the benchmarks a boost. pc4000 with 3-4-4-8 timings will look better in sandra than pc3200 with 2-2-2-5 timings. but the pc3200 with tight timings will translate to better real world performance, esp in games, where latency matters.

if this mem is going into a machine used primarily for gaming, get the gig....you can still get good timings and still have the gig....if its not used for gaming or another memory intensive app, get the 222 special.

whats the difference between level 1 and level 2? is level 1 bh6 ram? I see it on ebay for half the price of level 2!

level 1 uses bh-6, which, with enough voltage can overclock just as good as bh-5 with slightly tighter timings. just remember, most mushkin pc3500 level 2 can do 240mhz or higher with 2-2-2-5 timings (youll need 3.0volts or more though), the bh-6 can do 2-2-2-6 or 2-3-2-6 or something like that with the same amount of voltage. the price difference really wouldnt be worth it IMO.

Level 1 is for the most part CH-5 while the special is BH-6. I would say go for the gig either way. I am having to upgrade from 512 right now to play games so I know when games like D3 and HL2 come out 1 gig will almost be required imo.

If you are going to spend ~$300.00 on ram I would consider the OCZ EB series. The timings will be so close to BH-5 while using less voltages and getting faster speeds it will be worth it.

I just upgraded from 2 x 256 HyperX BH-5, to 2 x 512 Mushkin Level 1. The gig helps a lot in Far Cry. Its definately worth it.
I had the HyperX at 217 FSB, 2-2-2-11.
The Mushkin runs at 217 FSB, 2-2-3-11.

Back