• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are memory timings of 2.5-3-4-6 noticablly faster than 2.5-4-4-7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In everyday use no that change in timings acounts for 2ns of slower access so you will not ever feel a difference. It will show a difference in benchmarks theough it should be minor 10-20 pts in sandra mem bench and maybe 10 pts in 3d mark. There is no real performance difference though unless your livelyhood is based upon synthetic benchmarks.

snvpa said:
In everyday use no that change in timings acounts for 2ns of slower access so you will not ever feel a difference. It will show a difference in benchmarks theough it should be minor 10-20 pts in sandra mem bench and maybe 10 pts in 3d mark. There is no real performance difference though unless your livelyhood is based upon synthetic benchmarks.

I need to run calculations that can take a few days to run. Roughly how much of a performance increase am I looking at here? thanks snvpa

Probably less than a 0.5% difference. The CAS timing is the most important (the first number) and effects performance the most..

Yes... ive run those timings.

On my NF7 I see about a 100MB/s increase when using 2.5-3-4-11 as opposed to 3-4-4-11

IMHO... using the tighter timings is worth it

Actually, the tRCD timing has a bigger effect in DDR memory. I know that that's at least true with AMD systems from my own testing, and I'm fairly certain it's true of P4 systems too.

If you're running a couple days of calculations, go for it.

Back