• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH-5 to the Max. Limit!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danman81

Can BH-5 get to 266mhz (ddr533)?? This would be great if it could, if so, what kind of timings am I looking at? What are the maximum overclocks people are getting out of their bh-5 memories?

BH-5 is known more for it's ability to have tight timings at higher speeds and not it's ability to get to higher FSBs easily, for that PC4200, etc is used more as it doesn't gulp down voltage like BH-5 does, even at low settings. Just my $0.02

i can get my mushkin pc3200 bh5 2x512 in DC to 240mhz 2 2 2 5 with 3.2v

Tatuya said:

See what I mean, get some PC4000 or PC4200 if you just want raw speed. BTW, what CPU are you using, this does matter in choosing what to buy.

This is a 3.0c i want to run at 4 ghz. I may upgrade to the 3.0e with the new d-0 stepping, you can read my other post on that. Even at lower timings, like 2.5, the bh-5 cannot acheive 266mhz?

Possible, but you are likely you will need to give the ram from 3.3v to 3.8v, that's why people only recommend bh5 on amd rig and not intel rig.

PC3200 Kingston Value Ram...not 100% stable since I can only go to 2.9 on my board right now...

But if crappy Samsung chips can reach 260FSB...then BH5 should be able to reach 266...but probably not with real tight timings...

260.JPG

If your talking 512Mb modules I highly doubt you will be able to run them stable. In fact near impossible, considering how scarce these modules are now, good luck!

I recommend you look into OCZ PC3x00EB modules as they are almost as fast as BH-5 timings and scale much higher. You have better chances with those hitting 266fsb.

BTW, my 2 x 512Mb OCZ Platinum can do 238fsb 2-2-2-6 @ 3.0v, stable for 12hrs+ Prime95. Still testing them though.

i dont think it can do 266mhz (ddr566)...however, with a volt mod to your board you should be able to hit 240mhz (ddr480) with 2225 timings. with a little bit looser timings you may be able to do 266mhz.

your 3.3 rail is the limit, dont worry about the ram dying, it can take a lot more than you would think. people over at extreme have modded their power supplies to get 3.4, 3.5 volts on the 3.3 rail and they have run it fine for 6+ months.

with 3.2 you should be able to get 240mhz with 2225 timings on bh-5, with slightly looser timings you should be able to get more. you can get bh-6 for less and give it just as much voltage, but you will need slightly looser timings.

if you dont want to do a volt mod, look into some pc3700....i wouldnt go for pc4000 because the timings suck, loose timings = good benchmark performance; bad real world performance.

gustav said:

your 3.3 rail is the limit, dont worry about the ram dying, it can take a lot more than you would think. people over at extreme have modded their power supplies to get 3.4, 3.5 volts on the 3.3 rail and they have run it fine for 6+ months.

I can vouch for increasing your 3.3V rail. I have mine set at 3.45v and it does help the higher voltages of DDR, namely 3.2v. Been running 6mo without issue.

Back