• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of some help with bios settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irishfanatic

Registered
I just installed 512k of Corsair PC3200 DDR on my Gigabyte GA-7VT600 mobo with a 2200 Thoroughbred. I haven't done the mod to unlock the multiplier on the chip yet, but would like to see how much speed I can get out of my config before I do so.

I first started with the fsb at 150 and the multiplier maxed at 13.5, and although I had no graphics or boot up issues, Windows kept giving me error messages whether it was surfing the net or working with "word". Oddly enough, it was just fine with a couple of the games I tried at that setting. Regardless, I backed it down to 145, and everything is stable now. Question is, should I keep my bios settings for the memory like this......

Cas 2.5
Trp 3t
Tras 8t
Trcd 3t

Or, will I gain anything with different settings, and if so, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks very much in advance.

If you tighten timings you should get better results, although if the change is minimal you will get minimal "betterance". Remember that it is better to OC FSB than multiplier, just increase your vcore and vdimm up a bit when OCing any of this stuff. What kind of corsair is this BTW, XMS, or what. A link would be nice. :D

As you said, it's better to o'clk the fsb, and that's why I did that first, but Windows kept crashing at 150x13.5. I upped my Vcore and Vdimm to their max setting (only have three choices with this mobo's bios). Simple voltage increases of .1, .2, and .3 which is where I have them right now at 145.

When you say "tighten the timings", would that look something like this?.....

Cas 2
Trp 2
Tras 9
Trcd 2

Actually, I'm not sure about the 9 for Tras, and setting the Cas to 2 probably wouldn't do much in the way of performance either. Or would it?

Fact is, I could/should have shelled out a few extra bucks for the memory, but I wanted to see if this type of Corsair would be sufficient for my needs. Ah yes, and the fact that this will soon be my wifes system kinda helped in the decision making process :clap:

Here is the link for the memory.....
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-026&depa=0 , and no, it's not XMS :bang head

Last edited:
Just keep on squeezing more and more out until you get errors in memtest86 and Prime95. And yes that is considered tightening your timings, except that you backed off on the tras. Always remember to run stability programs like Prime95, F@H, etc. to test your OC. Good luck on your adventure :D

BTW, why dont you run the RAM at 200 FSB and back down on the multiplier?

Well, it's been a very long night! I don't think I was able to break any records for the amount of times I had to clear my CMOS (3x). :bang head

I wish that I had an update, but I either couldn't find the right configuration, or it simply would not accept anything but the automatic settings. This prompted me to do the mod to unlock the multiplier on my T-Bred, so at least something good happened in the past few hours. I suppose that the only other way I can go about this is to practically do a "snapshot" of my bios settings, and let another set of eyes try and pick up something that I'm either missing, or perhaps this is simply the best that my hardware configuration will allow.

I'm also thinking that perhaps I should LOWER my multiplier, raise the FSB, then go back and see if I can tighten my memory timings. If all else fails, I suppose I'll just have to start putting together a new rig for myself a bit earlier than expected. :clap:

if you want to be sure its your CPU, set the ram to 3-3-3-8/9 if it still crashes, its the CPU :) since the RAM should be able to do 2-3-2-6 at 150mhz i think.. (thats what my XMS LL does at 200mhz)

Do you have a camera so you can make that BIOS snapshot? :santa2: :)

I have it at the 3-3-3-8 setting right now, but lowered the FSB to 145. I'm going to go try the 2-3-2-6 settings right now, and if it boots, I'll see if the 150mhz will work. Need to do some quick math first, because my multiplier is still at 13.5 (the point in which it is locked because my mod didn't hold up :( . I'm going to try wiring the pins instead of the bridge mod that didn't hold. Oddly enough, Aida32 is telling me that the 3-3-3-8 is at 200mhz, but I'll try the settings you suggested anyway.

Do you have a camera so you can make that BIOS snapshot? :santa2: :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, yes, yes I do :thup: I'll take some shots when I reboot right now just in case you'd like to take a gander at them.

Thanks again.......:beer:

Strange stuff going on after trying the settings you suggested. After changing them, I couldn't even get to post. Cleared cmos, and the changes that I made had taken affect, however, when it cycled after leaving the bios, the settings went back to 2.5-3-8-3. I lowered the FSB to 142, but upped the Vdimm one last notch. I just got done running Sandra , but didn't do any burn tests, just the info side of it. Well, Sandra says that I'm at 2.5 2-6-2. Utilities like Sandra and others have been wrong before, as I'm sure you already know, but Aida32 is USUALLY dead on accurate. I ran Aida32, and it told me the same thing, 2.5 2-6-2. Hmmm :eh?:

I took the snapshots of the relevant sections of my BIOS just in case you had the time to review it and perhaps notice something that I've missed, or made an error with. I'm pretty sure that I haven't made any errors, although I'm certainly not above doing so lol. Thanks , yet again, for taking the time to back me up on this.

BIOS Snapshots

Back