• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-mobile vs. A64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
First of all, please forgive me if this has already been posted...

I was just wondering how my xp @ 2600mhz would compare to say an athlon 64 3200+, 3000+, or 2800+?

I beat the A64's in sandra tests, but I highly doubt that means anything :)

Anyway, just wondering if I should shell out the hundreds of dollars for an A64 setup???

Thanks,

-Collin-

AXP's don't compare to A64's in reality. I had my 1700+ to 2.6GHz and my A64 3200+ at stock wrecks it anything I can think of, most synthetic benchmarks as well...well not Sandra. Waiting is probably a better choice for you, though.

their 370$ for a 3200chip and 100$ mobo.

thats alot of dough.

my understanding of benchmarks that Ive seen so far is that the 64bit chips can outdo a faster mhz 32bit, but only in specific applications. till it can do it all better, or cost less; I dont see the reason to upgrade.

that is unless you got the cash, and its a hobby. then who needs reasons, Im talking from a value/performance basis only. doesnt mean it wont be fun!

25%
You'd need a 2.8-2.9 GHz Athlon XP to match a 2.2 GHz Athlon 64.

It may be a liitle less or a little more but 25% is the rough figure you wanted.

yeah I was unclear, I meant 370(or 380? somewhere in there) including the 100$ mobo. sorry bout that.

I agree with the waiting. I am on a college budget, so an athlon 64 system is not exactly at the top of my priority list....a 9800 pro is though :D

You're gonna upgrade form a 9700 Pro to a 9800 Pro on a college budget? Now THAT is spending money unwisely.

just a quick look down your system does make one wonder why you need to upgrade.

there cant possibly be a game or program that isnt running at top speed right now. when doom and HL come out, different story, but that would be a perfect waiting period anyway.

maybe your better to save rather than buy a 9800pro from a 9700pro... get the 64 bit sooner. or just build a second computer, replacing 9700pro's and 2600mobiles seems wasteful

just wait for socket 939 and X800pro to go down in price, in other words, wait for now. (9800pro won't be too much of an "upgrade," only by 5-10%?)

btw ninja, which college do u go to??? sj state? i live about 15 min away from sj.

here's an article from bit-tech that was previewing the fx-53. Thier benchmarks had an fx-53, a p4 3.2e, and a mobile 2500 at stock and oc'ed to 2500mhz. the oc'ed mobile kept up pretty well, imo. If money is the issue, hang on to what ya got for awhile longer, it's fine for now.

http://www.bit-tech.net/review/309/3

oc_byagi said:
just wait for socket 939 and X800pro to go down in price, in other words, wait for now. (9800pro won't be too much of an "upgrade," only by 5-10%?)

btw ninja, which college do u go to??? sj state? i live about 15 min away from sj.

yes, I do go to SJ State!! How did you know that?

Anyway, I am upgrading because my 9700 pro is actually just a 9500 pro with a 9700 bios. I need 256bit mem architecture...:)

The 9500 pro is for sale in the classifieds now.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

-Collin-

Back