• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce3 250 available for purchase now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-043&depa=0 Only $79

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241577

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-042&depa=0

Still waiting for the PCI locked VIA K8T800 Pro (not K8T800) chipset mobos...

edit: This thread is about the good news that new chipsets are finally here, not about the specific mobo model that happened to be the first to make it to the market.

hitechjb1 said:
Just to point out that the available Chaintech motherboard listed is based on the Nforce3 250 chipset, not the slightly better 250 GB chipset, ....

The difference between 250 and 250 GB is that the 250 GB has embedded gibabit networking function in the chipset.

Comparing to the Nforce3 150 (1st generation), the 250 GB (2nd generation) has more features
- direct gibabit networking + firewall
- direct SATA RAID support 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, more RAID channels, span over SATA and IDE, ...),
- higher HT bandwidth (16-bit 800 MHz both way for 250 GB vs 16/8-bit 600 MHz (down/up) in 150),
- bug fix,
- PCI-lock,

The 250 GB chipset supports both 754 and 939 CPU in different motherboard type.

A more interesting question is whether
250 GB + 754 CPU (price/performance)
or
250 GB + 939 CPU (more memory bandwidth, 90nm CPU compatibility, ...)

(The K8T800 PRO being an alternative, but not much motherboard info available.)

This direct RAID supports by the 250 GB chipset
- with the RAID spanning over SATA channels and IDE channels for 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD
- hot swap feature is interesting for 24/7 server (have to see how reliable it is),
- with separate HT bus for the disk data,
- with separate memory bus for memory data,
I can see the 250GB + 754 / 939 CPU become very desirable for server and file server, over the 150 chipset.

939 would always has an edge theoretically, it boils down to price/performance of the system, price and memory bandwidth tradeoff.

Remarks on A64 and various platforms (page 19)

Links to Nforce3 250 GB reviews and motherboards (page 19)

Last edited:
Quite a bit on the pricey side...I'd still probably take a 150 board over that. Chaintech's track record hasn't been exactly spotless, either.

has anyone tried out any of these boards yet? i am going to be updating to A64 soon and its between the K8N-Pro or the shuttle board(cant remember name) right now but i guess tehres some more options now. and i agree that these are a little pricey.

Chaintech is not a brand I'm too familiar with. I'd wait for Abit or Asus also.

If you look at the Chaintech at newegg, it says that it has 1x CMR slot, which sits below the lowest PCI slot. It is really small. I was just wondering what in the world that was.

Also, when should we see PCI express on those boards... maybe by the time that the 939 sockets roll out?

This thread is about the good news that new chipsets are finally here, not about the specific mobo model that happened to be among the first to make it to the market. The other brands that follow will most certainly be better.

Just to point out that the available Chaintech motherboard listed is based on the Nforce3 250 chipset, not the slightly better 250 GB chipset, ....

The difference between 250 and 250 GB is that the 250 GB has embedded gigabit networking function in the chipset.

Comparing to the Nforce3 150 (1st generation), the 250 GB (2nd generation) has more features
- direct gigabit networking + firewall
- direct SATA RAID support 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, more RAID channels, span over SATA and IDE, ...),
- higher HT bandwidth (16-bit 800 MHz both way for 250 GB vs 16/8-bit 600 MHz (down/up) in 150),
- bug fix,
- PCI-lock,

The 250 GB chipset supports both 754 and 939 CPU in different motherboard type.

A more interesting question is whether
250 GB + 754 CPU (price/performance)
or
250 GB + 939 CPU (more memory bandwidth, 90nm CPU compatibility, ...)

(The K8T800 PRO being an alternative, but not much motherboard info available.)

This direct RAID supports by the 250 GB chipset
- with the RAID spanning over SATA channels and IDE channels for 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD
- hot swap feature is interesting for 24/7 server (have to see how reliable it is),
- with separate HT bus for the disk data,
- with separate memory bus for memory data,
I can see the 250GB + 754 / 939 CPU become very desirable for server and file server, over the 150 chipset.

939 would always has an edge theoretically, it boils down to price/performance of the system, price and memory bandwidth tradeoff.

Remarks on A64 and various platforms (page 19)

Links to Nforce3 250 GB reviews and motherboards (page 19)

Last edited:
I was just fixen to post that the chaintech board is 79 bux but look's like you beat me to it LOL.

For 79$ right now, wouldnt that be worth it? Im getting an AMD64 3200 very soon and my cooling supplies (air stuff) just got here today. What do you guys think?

You will likely have a headache with this Chaintech board. So if you want to save the hassle you should wait or purchase a locked nF3-150 board. EPoX, MSI, and Gigabyte will have boards out on market sometime in the next 2 weeks. Abit will have their nF3-250 (no nF3-250Gb) board later on.

Back