• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help selecting new cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robjen

I managed to crack the die on my mom's computer. The chip was a 2100 polomino

Her system is as follows

Asus a7n-266
512 2700 ddr

everything else is just stock

She doesn't play games and I am not going to overclock her computer

I was lookng at newegg.com and I saw Thoroughbred and Thorton chips. I understand that a Thorton is a downgraded barton core, but how do they compare to the thoroughbred.

Just wondering if I should just go for the thoroughbred chip.

I don't think the board will accept a barton, and I tried putting my mobile 2600+ in there, but there isn't a way to change the multipliers.

Grab her a nice duron 1.6 or 1.8. The price is right, and they are slightly faster than an XP when comparing PR to mhz. So 1.8duron > 1800+ by a little bit.

Yep, I'd pick a Duron as well. The 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 GHz versions are all cut down Thoroughbred cores remember. So if you get a Duron 1.8 GHz, it is an Athlon 2200XP minus most of the cache. So performance will be almost identical to the 2100XP.

And it'll only cost you £25. Bargain.

zYclone said:
if you could find out how to OC that polomino 2100, let me know. thats what im using and i want to get a little speed outta mine :)

You need to unlock it to get higher FSB settings...and a big forwarning...those 2100's are the biggest PITA's to unlock...takes more then just closing the L1 bridges (cant remember the other bridge(s) that you have to close) and 95% of the times it takes 5 tot 10 trys to finally get it unlocked...(After finally unlocking mine...I swore off of the 2100 Pallys and unlocking them)

Also, most 2100 Pallys were not very good OCers...they ran pretty hot...even for a pally...when OCed...

I gave the polomino 2100 to my mom because it ran so hot, I didn't want to overclock it.

But (RIP) it is dead.

After looking at it closer, I cant find any cracks or chips missing. Im thinking it just fried. So now I am looking for the original heat sink to send back to amd. (hopefully for warranty)

Back