• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ac Dc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0-one

I've been looking at the meanwell power supplys. I was wondering though, are they AC powered or DC? I dont mean what powers them, what powers the Peltier? Do they require AC or DC current?

-steve-

im not 100% sure but peltier needs dc, ur meanwel or psu gets ac but converts it into dc so ur comp and **** can use it

wfarid said:
im not 100% sure but peltier needs dc, ur meanwel or psu gets ac but converts it into dc so ur comp and **** can use it

The wall socked it of course AC current ~110v 60Hz. I say approx. becuase it fluctuates between brownouts and surges. The PSU in your computer converts AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current). I just wasn't sure of what the PSU should be giving to the TEC. I assume DC current, but i just want to clarify.

-steve-

yea, DC.... AC would just turn it into a big heater.

The peltier effect is essentially that when you pass current through the ceramics, heat is transfered, making one side get hot and the other get cold. If you switch the direction the current is flowing, you will switch which side is hot and which is cold. If you were to put AC into a plet, the current flow would be constantly changing direction, so neither side would get cold. Due to the ineffecency of the pelt, the whole thing would heat up a whole lot though.

The effect works in reverse as well, if you heat one side of a pelt and cool the other side, it will generate a voltage and current if connected to something.

matttheniceguy said:
yea, DC.... AC would just turn it into a big heater.

The peltier effect is essentially that when you pass current through the ceramics, heat is transfered, making one side get hot and the other get cold. If you switch the direction the current is flowing, you will switch which side is hot and which is cold. If you were to put AC into a plet, the current flow would be constantly changing direction, so neither side would get cold. Due to the ineffecency of the pelt, the whole thing would heat up a whole lot though.

The effect works in reverse as well, if you heat one side of a pelt and cool the other side, it will generate a voltage and current if connected to something.

I am such an idiot. I was sitting in bed, and I said....a Peltier cooler works through the peltier effect. Passing DC current through two dissimilar substances with different electron counts. I knew the answer all along. Then i came on to tell you all how much of a douche i am and matttheniceguy answered for me. Thanks guys :)

-steve-

Back