• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Morgan durons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
i had an old duron 800 witha pencil trick, but it died on me when some compacitors blew. Now i have an older board here from fic az11e the auto-detect says its a athlon 1200, i had to make it say 8x multiplyer with its dip-switches. What do you think i could get out of a morgan? the L1 is already bridged so i dont know what else i could do?

The 800 was Spitfire Duron.

Morgans are 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1300 based on Palomino core.

If you have a 1200 Morgan, you'd be lucky to get any overclock you can "feel" out of it, still, it'll be better than default if it's stable.

I have a 1100 mogan and i can say now.. these things have stupid high vcore stock. they get stupid hot for how powerful they are and are probably not worthwhile...
im sure in a decent board this thing would clock at aleast a little. i would expect a mogan 1100 to hit 1400 mhz. i know there was a duron 1400 based on mogan. but bleh.

Duron 1.4 is the new Applebred.
1400 Morgan was never officially released.

but wait, it says duron 800, no L2 bridges, cpuid says its a morgan,,, im i wrong in my cpu?

c627627 said:
The 800 was Spitfire Duron.

Morgans are 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1300 based on Palomino core.

If you have a 1200 Morgan, you'd be lucky to get any overclock you can "feel" out of it, still, it'll be better than default if it's stable.

I had a 1300 Morgan...locked...but it ran perfectly stable at 155FSB (2G)@2v's...0351 (don't remember the stepping)...ordered it from TWCO.com for 29.99 at the time...

i dont know what stepping it is,, i forgot where to lookfor that

There's an easier way to tell.

What is the substrate made out of? If it's purple ceramic, it's a Spitfire core. If it's organic (green or brown) it's a Morgan.

well the chip is pruple with
ahlca i think is the stepping,,

cpuid.jpg

which number indicates the core model? I could have sworn it could be discovered here.
My duron came packaged in ceramic. duron 1100. the person who sold it to me claimed it as a morgan.. but this is the first duron i have owned.. so i didnt think to check.

mine says differntly, its an 800, but in the stepping id it says standard = 1 and extended = 1 yours doesnt, i used cpuz and it said codename morgan. my first cpu duron wasnt...

hmmm. thats weird.... I thought the morgan core was only used for a few models. 1000-1300 for sure... but a 800 mhz morgan core?
neat

cewl thx, ill try a multiplyer thats higher, only thing is on auto detect it says athlon 1200, but freezes, so i have to manually set it, i cant set the fsb to 133 i have to set it to 100 and go up in bios little at a time but it increases the pci clock to, so as it says in my sig, im at multi 9 with only a fsb of 105 but pci is 35

Oni said:
There's an easier way to tell.

What is the substrate made out of? If it's purple ceramic, it's a Spitfire core. If it's organic (green or brown) it's a Morgan.

I have a 1GHz Morgan here which is Ceramic, and I can't recall ever seeing an organic Morgan, the Applebreds are, but I have yet to see an organic Morgan.

If you have an 800, there is no doubt it is a Spitfire, Morgans started at 950MHz( rare but they existed).

ok so my cpuid is misreading it and the wcpuid? i did the newest bios update to see new amds, but i guess mine is being misread,..

I would say its a software glitch.

IDEA! :D

Here's a pic of 2 durons I have, a Morgan on the left, and a Spitfire on the right... notice the cores are shaped and aligned differently.

durons.jpg

Back