• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile A64 3400+ OC....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A418t81

Registered
I just picked up my Compaq R3000z laptop yesterday and I've already overclocked 200 mhz to 2400 mhz using clockgen. I'm at 1.55 volts and its running ROCK solid. I'm going to play with going a bit higher, but anyway Sandra is LOVING this processor. At 2.4 ghz, I am just edging out the FX-53 2.4 ghz in both aspects.

I was very happy to see these results as they back up real world performance. This laptop absolutely HAULS *** and makes my OC'ed 1800+ (2.2ghz) seem slow in comparison. I might have to pick up an A64 setup for my desktop now :)

2.4 GHz A64...in a laptop... :drool: That's amazing

Yep, A64's completely leave AXP's in the dust. There's no comparing them.

Yeah, I am pretty impressed. The heat seems to be negligable as the fans stay on the lowest settings unless I have it under a lot of load such as folding. Either way, I folded @ 2.4 ghz for about 10 hours without any issues, so I think I'm gonna try and go higher soon. Its crazy what this thing can do w/ only 1.55v!

I just ordered one from Compaq, it should be here in a few weeks. Have you gotten any higher performance out of it?

A418t81 said:
I just picked up my Compaq R3000z laptop yesterday and I've already overclocked 200 mhz to 2400 mhz using clockgen. I'm at 1.55 volts and its running ROCK solid. I'm going to play with going a bit higher, but anyway Sandra is LOVING this processor. At 2.4 ghz, I am just edging out the FX-53 2.4 ghz in both aspects.

I was very happy to see these results as they back up real world performance. This laptop absolutely HAULS *** and makes my OC'ed 1800+ (2.2ghz) seem slow in comparison. I might have to pick up an A64 setup for my desktop now :)

Welcome to the forums

Download a CPU utility such as GCPUID, and see what revision it is, whether it is C0 or CG.

Pix,

I believe that ~2400 mhz is about the limit on my system. It seems that any worth-while jump in speed after that number will eventually give me the blue screen of death. However, @ 2.4ghz, its rock solid and I've seen no negative issues at all with it at this setting.

As for the version, I'm not on the system right now, so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

While synthetic benches are cool, the real world performance step of this processor is amazing. I have a 2.8 ghz P4 and an OC'ed XP1800+ to 2.2ghz desktop and both of them load install shells and zip around windows *noticeably* slower than the laptop. The compaq is a GREAT laptop, I am VERY happy with it.

I think he must have a DTR, because I haven't heard of true-mobile 3400+'s. If this is the case, then they're available at newegg.

There is a part number for mobile A64 3400+, AMA3400.... It is 1.5 V. It is a DTR version. It is rated 2.2 GHz, 1 MB L2.

Question is what revsion which can be found out by ultility like GCPUID. Revision CG overclocks better than revision C0.

There is also a part number 3200+ 1.4 V for the mobile A64.

You can find lots of info about the A64 here:
A64 CPUs, chipsets, motherboards

I thought I heard something about 1.35 true mobiles?

The DTR have exactly the same power consumption and heat dissipation as the desktops, so I don't really consider them mobiles. At least, for the purpose of overclockability, a DTR of the same revision as a desktop would perform identically for all practical purposes.

Every A64 DTR I've seen so far have the CG revision.
Glad you like your A64. They blow away the AXP's for sure (although AXP's are still better bang for the buck in folding). :D

Gautam said:
I thought I heard something about 1.35 true mobiles?

There is no 1.35 true mobile.
This is the mobile A64 info:

hitechjb1 said:
Mobile A64 754 (update)

There are 1.5 V (81.5W), 1.4V (62 W) and 1.2 V (35 W) Mobile A64.

The 1.2 V 35W is just listed (May 04).

The 1.5 V is listed for desktop replacement explicitly. But all of them are listed as package B, so they have the same package, potentially can be used for desktop socket.

The 1.2 V is from NewCastle core, FC0h, w/ 512 KB L2.
The 1.5 and 1.4 V are from ClawHammer, F4Ah, w/ 1 MB L2.

All three have CG revsion.

You can find lots of info about the A64 here:
A64 CPUs, chipsets, motherboards

Ah, thanks for the info. I'd better get back to studying your thread again!

Could the 35W, 1.2v default, 1.8ghz mobile Newcastle 2800+ be the next overclockers' chip??

Yeah, I guess I should have stated laptop instead of "mobile." I'm pretty sure I have a DTR, but my revision code is SH7-C0.

It's almost looking to me like there isn't that much of a difference between the C0's and the CG's...at least some of them. There certainly are some extremely nice C0's, A418t81's is better than my CG. Although, the C0's seem more hit or miss.

A418t81 said:
Yeah, I guess I should have stated laptop instead of "mobile." I'm pretty sure I have a DTR, but my revision code is SH7-C0.

Officially, DTR is a mobile. AMD explicitly has a model number, OPN starting with AMA, for it.

So you have an older revision C0, the model of your CPU would be
AMA3400BEX5AP

It is a ClawHammer, 1 MB L2.

It is a ClawHammer, 1 MB L2. [/B]

Yeah, thats it :) So my proc has done pretty well for what it is? I know a decent amount about the A64, but I'm not an A64 guru like a lot of you guys:cool:

Back