• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple of embarrassing Barton questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tiribulus

Registered
Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I haven't been around in a while due to my new job and haven't bought new gear in a while either, but here goes. I fried my 2400+ Tbred b the other day and wanted to grab a Barton. However I seem to be gathering from what I'm seeing sorta scattered about here that ALL Bartons are hardlocked in such a way that only extreme surgery will allow you to change the multiplier or that you have to convert them into a mobile. Also that even a store bought mobile needs hard mods to change the core clock and voltage. In other words the days of the softmenu are essentially over as far as changing voltages and multiplier settings where Barton cpu's are concerned. I bought a Barton 2600+ only to discover that there's no way to set the multiplier. My wife is taking it back so I can get a mobile, but I seem to be reading that even they need mods to really "work" too At the moment I'm stuck with a KD7 Raid so bus increases won't get me much. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>>>--Tiribulus->:D

Well for one youre wrong on everything.

From this point...did you need to type another letter? Or did you just intend to insult him and prove your point?

Shadow ÒÓ

WELCOME BACK TRIBULUS! Always good to see old members come back around that haven't forgotten about us. :) Don't worry about asking questions like that, its hard when you aren't around and you don't have time to search the forums.

Candyman has the basic idea down, though I think you could see good overclocking without upgrading your RAM and mobo still - you would just see better overclocking with further upgrades.

If you don't mind me mentioning it, I think it would be good if you could edit your signature through your user cp/profile link on the top right of the forum - the signature is way over the size rules and it also includes links that are not allowed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM/IM me on AIM.

With my old cpu I started having issues at like 176 fsb. I really appreciate the info. I know that if I dug I'd find it anyway, but it can be a bit scattered and I got a bit lazy. I'm planning on a bunch of new parts once the next gen vid cards and pci express get settled, but in the meantime I didn't want to get stuck @ 2ghz or thereabouts having been forced to buy another processor now.
Thanks for your response,

All the mobiles are unlocked and do not require any modding for you to be able to change the multiplier and the fsb.

Keep clockin

CandymanCan said:
Well for one youre wrong on everything. Also if you search on the forums youll find out everything you need to know.

Anyway, All desktop Bartons are locked after week 40 or 0340. Thier is no way no pin, no Surgery, no software that can unlock these cpu's. Thats why everyone is buying Mobile Barton's.

Jesus Joseph and Mary

when will people learn of the powernow unlock for superlocked, post week 40 cpus?

u have a k7d that has a kt400 NB, so powernow changing works. Basically smear conductive paint into all the bridge pits on the L5 bridges (no scraping or cutting), then using a program u can change ur multipliers all the to 24x (and everything below, down to 4x) once ur in windows on the fly. This program is like the Nvidia System Utility and other MB manufactuer programs that allow u to change ur FSB without a reboot. The name of the program is cpumsr, I dont feel like turning it into a link, but the first result on google will be it.

I'd edit this too but the post below is nicer...........
Shadow ÒÓ

bulk88 said:

Jesus Joseph and Mary

when will people learn of the powernow unlock for superlocked, post week 40 cpus?

u have a k7d that has a kt400 NB, so powernow changing works. Basically smear conductive paint into all the bridge pits on the L5 bridges (no scraping or cutting), then using a program u can change ur multipliers all the to 24x (and everything below, down to 4x) once ur in windows on the fly. This program is like the Nvidia System Utility and other MB manufactuer programs that allow u to change ur FSB without a reboot. The name of the program is cpumsr, I dont feel like turning it into a link, but the first result on google will be it.

When will people learn? it doesnt work on NFII boards yet dude.

bulk88 said:

Jesus Joseph and Mary

Can you please refrain from speaking like that? If you need to correct someone or something, it can be done without slurs and without treating others like they haven't learned as much as you because they are slow. This sort of stuff changes the way the forum appears and feels when you interact with people, and isn't what THIS forum is about, and frankly I and many other members are tired of the way people have been treating eachother at times lately.

Dippy_skoodlez, you might have missed the part of his post I highlighted, I dunno. I don't know if it is correct or not, but he wasn't implying anything about NF2.

IMOG said:

Can you please refrain from speaking like that? If you need to correct someone or something, it can be done without slurs and without treating others like they haven't learned as much as you because they are slow. This sort of stuff changes the way the forum appears and feels when you interact with people, and isn't what THIS forum is about, and frankly I and many other members are tired of the way people have been treating eachother at times lately.

I agree with IMOG here. Lately I have been seeing more and more disrespect. Let's all please just play nice and be respectfull. Keep in mind not everyone knows about certain things and one of the best part about this forum is sharing information with others and learning ourselves. Just to use an analogy or example, if your parents had no clue at all how to do something, you would respectfully show them how, not complain, moan, and groan. So bassically, let's just all enjoy OC-Forums and make it a better place for me you and everyone else. Thanks.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant

No questions are dumb here. You do not sound ignorant to me at all.

I do beleive the mobile bartons are unlocked, and are actually overclocking quite well. But, everyone else has bassically covered all of the info I could give you.

Welcome back to the forums!
Cheers!
-0cer
:cool:

Thanks all,
I do appreciate all the responses. I even think bulk88 was being helpful though maybe a bit ambitious in his tone. Actually I don't mind saying that I do have considerable skills and experience in the performance game, but THE FRANKENBOX hasn't gotten the usual attention lately due to work and other obligations. It is cumbersome to attempt to dig through a mess of threads when your enthusiast research has been lagging. I appreciate your help and patience.

Thats the first iv ever heard of unlocking the locked cpu's. Sorr for not knowing u dont need to chew me out cuss you wont like me response when im in a bad mood. I have a NF2 board, and i mainly keep thier i dont pay attention much to older model's anymore.

It's not a real unlock because you need to boot into Windows with your locked multiplier and the FSB with which you can boot into Windows but you cannot change the FSB inside Windows, only the multiplier.

+ it may not apply here but yes, this doesn't work at all on mobos most people own today, like nForce2s.

dippy_skoodlez said:

When will people learn? it doesnt work on NFII boards yet dude.
NF2s cant be the entire market, there are pleanty of Kt333, kt400s and kt 600s and sis ocers (haven't heard of any ali's yet).

And this particular person has a board that will work with it.

IMOG said:

I did it as a jk, and below is a quote as the source that I learned it from last night.;)

*e*k is a common milder swear word used in Ireland. It is the sort of thing a middle aged uncle who wanted to swear but didn't want to cause too much offence would use, if there were kids about. A longer, even cleaner version, often used by old Dubliners was "Janey Mac" Whereas older people (60s+) or Reverend Mothers (having had one too many Gin and Tonics, or having spent too much time testing the Communion wine) would tend to say, "well, janey mac," the younger generation (35-) use phrases which mix traditional swearing with religious imaginery, as in "Mother of Divine ***k" (mixing 'Mother of God', another Reverend Mother-ish polite 'swear', with the F word) Another religious quasi-swear is 'Jesus, Mary and Joseph', usually said by religious people who if they had the chance they would use the F-word twenty times in a row but they are too polite to. Another Religious type swear is 'Hooring Jaysus' (or in American-speak, Whoring Jesus, though it is pronounced exactly as written in the Irish version.) JTD 04:55 Jan 30, 2003 (UTC)

source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:****
(if the built in forum filter kills the url, repair it before entering it into your browser)

Hi.

I'm going way out on a limb here....I'm trying to find some connection to how these last posts will help this fellow, and how they might possibly relate to unlocking a locked Barton CPU.

The only thing I can come up with is some serious praying, might in fact, unlock a late Barton.

Riiiiight.

Seriously, and I do mean this...let's get back on topic from here on out, or (as this fellow really has already gotten the answer he required) let this thread slowly slip away.

Thank you.

Mr B
Forums Moderator

Yes, you guys have answered my question and I've ordered a mobile barton 2500+ because the 2600+ is probably pretty much the same part. I actually have read in another forum where guys talking about powernow capable boards being able to set the multi on the fly with a windows based app, but since I already returned the desktop chip might as well just order a mobile. I also just got a new pump and block so while I'm sure I'll only get ho hum bus numbers maybe I can crank up the core anyway. BTW Mr B, Van Halen's first album cover REALLY brings back some memories. "I'm the one" (with deference to Neo) is still one of my all time fav metal tunes. That album redfined the electric guitar for the first time since Hendrix when it first came out in 78? I'm dating myself here. Anyway thanks again everybody.

the truth is, nforce2 covers more than 50% of the socket A market, therefore, nforce2 is the majority.

it also makes me wonder as to what some people may expect from those who's been away from computers for a while to mod and hack the system to unlock the multiplier.

Last edited:
oc_byagi said:
the truth is, nforce2 covers more than 50% of the socket A market, therefore, nforce2 is the majority.

it also makes me wonder as to what some people may expect from those who's been away from computers for a while to mod and hack the system to unlock the multiplier.

In my experiance (and I have a bag of 7 dead applebreds that were my early experiments/test subjects). I learned one of the ways to turn on the mobile, is to take some conductive silver paint/pen (be sure to shake it first, or it will come out non-conductive since the silver mostly settled to the bottom and whats coming out is almost only suspension fluid), put a drop on the L5s, then smear it all over working it in with your finger into the pits, then when the silver paint starts to harden up (u can feel it as you run your finger over), take a alchahol soaked tissue or alchahol pad and rub off all the silver paint on the surface, when you do, the pits will still be filled but the surface not. This mod doesn't require any tape or scraping, but you may run into a problem if your MB boots at L6 speeds.

In my lab I keep one cpu that its pits were insultated then the bridge piers scraped away then connected with a tape mask and conductive paint, this is so I can turn it on and off at will, and I also keep one cpu with all the bridges filled permiently. So if it boots at 24x I can use one with a reverable mod, and the 24x one will go into anopther board.

yeah, i was looking through various methods to unlock the new bartons before finding out about mobile athlons in this forum. I think there was a link about changing locked bartons into MP or mobile on warp2search.net few weeks ago and i think its the way u have just explained.

Back