• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L1/L2 cache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mack936

Registered
i am somewhat new to the overclocking bit of this,so,my wuestion is: how can i tell if the L1 & L2 cache are enabled and set properly? also one other comment: i have had my mobile 2500+ cpu as high as 2000 but can't get it any higher ( windows will not boot up and i have to clear the cmos to be able to start again and reset cpu speed. it runs stable at 1900

Abit NF7-S 2.0 MB
AMD mobile 2500+ barton core
256 ddr400
XFX5200 video card 128 meg DDR
netstream2000 mpeg video card
fugitsu 20 gig HD
sunami CDR+RW

:(

Try running cpu-z and take a look what it said for level 1 and level 2 cache, if I didn't remember wrong it should said 64kb for level 1 data, 64kb for level 1 code and 512kb for level 2

Also, on the NF7 you don't have to clear the CMOS, you can just unplug the power cord from the PSU, wait a minute, and it will boot right up.
You need more voltage to be able to go higher. you're probably at stock right now.
What are the full load (like Prime95) temps you're getting?

The cache being enabled or disabled will not cause the instability problems that you have described. Cache affects speed more than anything else. Once you get into windows and it seems like you are using a 486 then your L2 cache is disabled. As was said you can also use CPU-Z, and most bios's I haveever used have an option to enable/disable L2 cache. So look for this option.

i cannot find cpu-z and also don't have the prime file. if someone can direct me to these i would be much greatly appreciative.
average temp is running about 102 to 104 F. just replaced cooling fan today and installed a manhatten ( 701792 ) is the part number and it lowered my temps from 111 to 104 and i am running at stock voltage,but,wish to do better

one more no need to clear the CMOS trick that The Coolest didnt mention...
With ABit boards (since softmenu came around) you can more often than not, just hold down the "INSERT" key when booting

Have the system completly off, hold "INSERT" turn on the power and once you hear the system beep, relase insert, enter the BIOS and all your settings are still saved

Back