• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seal String locally?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StrongBadia

Registered
Where can I get the stuff? I went to napa looking for "glass setting butyl tape" and they said it was banned and didn't sell it anymore. I also heard 3m 2229 Mastic tape was the same thing, but nobody sells it locally.

i'm not 100% sure if i'm thinking of the same stuff as you, but if it is what i'm thinking you can get it at any hardware store. It's the black tar-like stuff right?

if you can't find that, I used some stuff at work that is basically the same thing but runnier and from a tube. We just called it demon Sh** because it is soo sticky and horrable to work with, but it would do the job very well. It is used to seal vapor barriers to concrete and other jobs like that, I don't remember it's real name, but if you just go to a hardware store and look at their junk from a tube, it will be there.

you should do a search for something like cheap seal string. there was a thread on this a little while back.

You can get it from napa. I think it is called butyl setting tape or something to that effect. It was realy cheap, and was wider, but the same stuff.

You should have read my post. I went to NAPA looking for the butyl tape, but they said they don't carry it anymore.

my bad, 3m makes that stuff, but I don't know if you can get it locally unless a local hardware store carried it. Hm...I think homedepot might have some sort of pipe insulation tape that is the same stuff. I will check homedepot for it today when I get my spray insulation for my chiller and let you know if they carry it. Although, the homedepot by me never has anything i want.

I got 3M 08612 which somebody said was the exact same as the nventiv stuff. It came in a big spool for ~$12.

StrongBadia said:
I got 3M 08612 which somebody said was the exact same as the nventiv stuff. It came in a big spool for ~$12.
im using the ribbon sealer also except i got 08611
its 5/16 thick. stuff works great.

I think I am gonan pick up that kind for coating pcb's of vid cards and mobos. The put armaflex over it. I think that would work better than anything else. With all the stuff on the pcb's the armaflex wouldn't seal out all the air, but with a layer of seal string and then armaflex I would probably be realy safe from condensation.

its very plyable anyways so if you got a 1 inch round you could roll it into a sheet of paper. its like play dough

I think its glazing tape that is used for sealing up windows. It feels about as sticky, and its designed to be used as insulation from water, cold air, snow, and excetera.

Glazing tape is only like 20$ for a roll of like 25 feet at ~1 inch wide. (At least thats what was estimated to me because they didnt have the exact price on hand)

I got some of the butyl tape today. They had it at NAPA cost me 9 dollars even.

Lotec25

I threw out the entire role of 3m stuff. It was WAY too sticky and dyed my hands black.

I have a role of real nventiv seal string coming and will use that exclusively unless someone finds the real thing.

Back