• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

250Mhz+ FSB, please come in.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gogeta_G3D

250Mhz FSB is me goal. So if you have it, please share with us how you got it. Memory type, timings, cooling etc...

PC4000 helps...
Crosiair XMS

but in al honestly... I only got 249 :(
No volt mods done to my NF7-2.0

Have you tried to drop the multiplier and test the board for its max stable speed yet???

not, sure still experimenting. i have never played with FSB too much.......question, all else being equal, if a sytstem can do 215FSB @ 2Ghz, any reason it wouldnt be able to do 215 @ 2.5Ghz?

I've also gotten to 249fsb w/ the PC3500 corsair in my sig. I guess I'll need more voltage to the RAM in order to hit 250fsb or higher. No mods to my mobo yet.

Gogeta_G3D said:
not, sure still experimenting. i have never played with FSB too much.......question, all else being equal, if a sytstem can do 215FSB @ 2Ghz, any reason it wouldnt be able to do 215 @ 2.5Ghz?

Gogeta_G3D said:
Depends what you mean by all things being equal.
A few factors could limit it depending on the system in question - namely
PSU not up to the extra wattage
Cooling not up to the extra wattage
Inability on the board to get a high enough vcore for 2.5Ghz (assuming no volt modding - though only an issue on a few boards these days)
- to name just a few limitations.
No issue on accessing the upper multis on a 4 FID board as for 215 FSB to get to 2.5Ghz would still only require the 8x bit of the multi set to low.

266 FSb with corsair XMS 3200 cas 2-2-2-11.

how it was done.
DFI lan party revision B.
Vdimm modded for excessive voltages past 3.3 volts.
running 3.7 volts on the ram.
north bridge and south bridge cooling.
7000 CU heatsink.

mobile barton 2400.
running just under 2.6 ghz.

bandwidth was just under 3900.
this item was recently sold to "Just Shoot", and his first day results were just as impressive as mine. 10.5x250 with no effort and water cooling only ;)

it's all about DFI and the DFI street bioses.

I'm also intersted in this, would my Corsair TWINX PC3200LL be able to reach it?

edit: kunaak, you think NF7-S would be able to handle it?
and why do ppl tend to set their "4th" latency as "11"???
I know first 3 should be low as possible. I've read up on this but I don't quite remember.

btw nice 3dmark2k1 score

Last edited:
oh heres a sloppy 3dmark run I did with the Mobile XP and DFi.
it doesn't stand a chance at coming close to touching my FX51 scores, so I didn't try, I just wanted to try a 250 FSB and see how easy I could pass 3dmark, and literally this was push button and loop for as long as I want...
it was to easy almost.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7608027

thanks all for info. for some god damn reason i wasnt getting emails about new posts. the highest i got was 225FSB, 11-4-4-3, 2.7v. i set the cpu to 2.25ghz @ 1.5v so it wouldnt be a factor. i tried 230 but no matter what I did, computer wouldnt even boot. the southbridge was burning hot, so i think maybe once i put my zalman passive on it maybe i can go higher? do all nf7s need the L12 mod?> cause i think its just a heat issue with mine.

oc_byagi said:
I'm also intersted in this, would my Corsair TWINX PC3200LL be able to reach it?

edit: kunaak, you think NF7-S would be able to handle it?
and why do ppl tend to set their "4th" latency as "11"???
I know first 3 should be low as possible. I've read up on this but I don't quite remember.

btw nice 3dmark2k1 score

I think your Corsair would be more then able to do 250+, it's just a matter of how far your willing to push the ram to get it.

I am sure a NF7 has a decent chance at 250.
but in all honesty, the NF7 just never had what it takes to lure me back to the Xp core. only the DFI's did, and thats only cause I was seeing such insane benchmarks coming from the Last Viking and wondering if they were indeed possible.
I would consider myself a very adept overclocker, able to achieve results similar to just about anyones when I get the right hardware.
to get even just a few FSB away from 270 just completly blew away my goal of 250 and did it so easily, that I have yet to see a NF7 or anything else come close to what the DFI's have been doing the last few months.

people tend to put the 4th latency at 11, cause your best bandwidth comes from the tras at 11.
lower tras and your speed drops alittle each time with the NF2.
it's just a weird thing I never really asked "why" just tested it out and saw it was true myself.
one of the oldest tricks in the NF2 book as far as I remember.

thanks for the compliment on the score.
it's just a junk score honestly.
I have been sitting at 27,166 for a few months now with my FX5900 Non Ultra. I haven't tried for any more then that lately.

27,166...... wasn't highest score for 3dmark2k1 just lil over 30k???
so ur jus lil bit off from the best with geforce 5900 non-ultra???
what is going on with this....

he says " non ultra", but its at like 650core and 1110 mem. i would called this 5900 MEGA SUPER ULTRA X 2!

Gogeta_G3D said:

Motherboartd is also required to supply more current to the CPU.
So mofset cooling may be a good idea.

Also alot of multiplier are broken on the NF7 at high FSB speeds.
Mainly 10x and 10.5x...
So that will also be a set back for you and something we have to work around. Disabling CPU interface will let you use these multipliers at the expense of MEMORY Speed. So its not really worth it.

My advise, when testing the motherboard @ high FSB speeds (233+) used a 9.5x multplier or a 5x multipler as they are not broken...

My aproch would be use 5x, find max FSB the system can do...
then use a low FSB (233 and under) and find the best the CPU can do.

Gogeta_G3D, the L12 mode, go for it.

i was running fsb like in the sig, swapped the ram for adata with lousy timings, went to 227; did the L12 mode and i can post all the way to 262MHz, run stable at 242 (running in 241 right now to keep the cpu voltage at 1.775)

Gogeta_G3D said:
do all nf7s need the L12 mod?> cause i think its just a heat issue with mine.

Possibly for all nf7/s mobos w/ non-166fsb default bartons.

I was stuck at 223fsb w/ my mobile until I did the L12 mod. I got to 250fsb with the help of the L12 mod. With RAM timing of 2.5-3-
3-11 and 3.04VDIMM.

Try it. What have you got to lose.

Sandra%20XP2500%20mobile%20barton%20250.57fsb%203513.jpg

Back