• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Mobo for Mobile Barton 35W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Like the subject says - what's a good mobo for the mobile barton? I'm looking for something solid that hopefully allows for the default 1.35 volts. The last NF2 board I had was a revision 1 A7N8X. Guess 200fsb+ isn't an issue with a locked 266fsb mobile right?

The mobiles shouldnt be locked and also I would say either the dfi infinity or the abit nf7-s.

Oh I was thinking all AMD chips were locked now with the exception of the FX and mobile A64.

I would recommend the Abit NF7-S. If you check in the Abit section, newer NF7-S' are capable of pretty high fsb's without any mods. Imo from waht I've read, DFI's are still hit or miss.

jlin453 said:
I would recommend the Abit NF7-S. If you check in the Abit section, newer NF7-S' are capable of pretty high fsb's without any mods. Imo from waht I've read, DFI's are still hit or miss.

I had a DFI Lan party, and that thing rocked, but It was sent back for several reasons, wont bother with in here... I loved that board tho... aI just ordered my infinity, and it shipped yesterday.. Cant wait! :D I haven't had any unsolvable problems with DFI, and their tech support uses IM and responds quickly ti my e-mails.. Asked him about the neo backplate needed for the 947U, and got back to me in 1 hr :D Hopefull this board can put my Pc4000 to good use!

Personally had 2 DOA DFI Ultra Infinities and won't buy a socket A DFI again until their quality control gets revamped. Angry Games provides great support for them over @ AMDMB, but it doesn't make up for the poor board quality.

Checkout the Albatron KX18D Pro. The only thing it lacks over the DFI is mounting holes and 3.0v on the VDIMM. Next to the DFI's they have the next best overclocking options! Mine hit 252fsb @ 1.9v after an L12 mod! Awesome board. If you need the extra features, the Pro II model has everything on the DFI, as well as DUAL BIOS.

Here's my review on it:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=91825

If you need mounting holes, then go with the NF7. I also have the Abit, it's a solid board (although mine may have issues with DC), but just doesn't have as good voltage options as the Albatron.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally opted for the NF7S since I'm more familiar with Abit and Asus. I'm not too concerned with extreme voltage options, so hopefully this will prove to be sufficient.

Woah, I just realized you lived in the same town as Dave from easypckits.com

Anyways, I'd say go with the NF7-S if you arent going mad with Ocing but if you want more headroom go DFI, personally I hate Asus and it's crappy AMD boards now :D

I did buy the NF7S - also because it has the mounting holes and I'm using a 947u. I had mixed results from my asus a7n8x (revision 1) so I'm hoping the latest Abit will be a little better.

Tatuya said:
Woah, I just realized you lived in the same town as Dave from easypckits.com

Actually, no. Athens, AL versus Athens, GA.

Athens GA is a LOT larger, and is home to the Univ of Georgia, a fine school (though I am a Univ of Alabama graduate). Athens, AL is home to Athens St. Univ. (I am a graduate there as well, dual degrees), quite a bit smaller with about 2000 students. Lots of antebellum homes, too.

http://www.tourathens.com/
http://www.city-data.com/city/Athens-Alabama.html
http://www.athens.edu/

:D

Dave
[email protected]

I've been an Abit fan and I would like to try something new . I've decided to go with the DFI Infinity after I've read a lot of positive things about the board...I can't wait to assemble my new PC once it got here.. :D

I thought about the DFI, but Im not familiar with them and I noticed there's been quite a lot said about DOA boards from them.

I have had no problems from my second one the 1st was DOA tho LOL.

:lol: that's funny. Third DFI was a charm for me, too. ...that is until I was too lazy to turn the case on it's side, installed the RAM backwards and ended up killing the one that finally worked!!! Argh. RAM had a lovely smell, akin to burnt asshairs after that, but amazingly still worked. I took that as a sign from Satan that the DUI wasn't ever going to work for me.

TC, since you went with the Abit, don't forget to do an L12 mod. The board will probably max out @ around 223, otherwise. Really helps with the mobiles.

What's an L12 mod? I've unlocked XP's and enabled them for SMP, but don't remember hearing of an L12 mod....

Back