• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3200+ is toast...need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shmuck

Well, my friend bent 2 pins off his 3200+ AMD64 CPU. It is brand new, retail, ordered from Newegg. It was a user error and we want to know what his options are for returns.

Will newegg take an RMA?
Will AMD replace the chip?
Will AMD repair the chip?

If ANYBODY knows about this type of thing, or needs more info, please post.
Thank you.

i made my response in youre otherfriends thread, he said it was 3200+, i thought he ment a Barton, now i find out its a A64 LOL AHAH,

That guy should have waited for u to help him install it before shoving the thing in the motherboard.

Im about 100% Sure amd wont accept a return of dammadged good's, and i mabout 80% sure Newegg wont take it back.

Youre friend is majorly screwd and those things arent cheap either. He should have read the manule cuss it expplains how to install it properly.

Edit: You said bent, youre other friend said he broke 2 pins, so which is it.

Cuss if he just bent the pins then just carefully bend them back. Iv bent pins before on my cpu's and bent them right back.

I absolutely agree about his mistake...he made a BIG error obviously. And I apologize about the post...I did not mean to imply that he should try to do something dishonest.

Does anybody know if AMD can repair chips? That would obviously be an honest and slightly less expensive alternative.
Thanks.

I just made and Edit:, if then pins are just bent and not actually broken off just get some tweezers if you finger nail wont fit i nthier and carefully bend it back. It wont be perfect, and it wont just plop in like a new cpu but it will go in the socket and should work justfine, iv done this before many times.

That was a good shot, but apparently they broke off when he tried to bend them back...they were bent too much I guess.

Any thoughts on AMD- repairs?

I am about 99.9% sure that AMD can not repair pins that are physically broken off...but you can email their support center to make sure...other then that...

the only other thing to do is get a drill and drill a nice small little hole...becareful not to crack it...then put it on your keychain...

I am not being mean...but that would only leave it as a very expensive A64 keychain...which sucks big time...I know...but not with a A64 chip *knocks on wood*...

yup, they are GONE now. And i'm disappointed to hear that AMD probably can't repair it. What a shame, that is one expensive keychain.
It's a bummer he had to learn such a hard lesson in this manner.

Oh lol he prob wasnt carefull just like when he shoved it in the pc lol. "Sorry for the joke but i just had 2"

I also re read his first post i see he said Bent "OFF" i didnt see that read it to fast hehe.

You know if i was him and did that to my new cpu. Id be in my bed sleeping for a few days and Crying after words, i would also go into a depressing for a week or so.

I did that when i broke a $400 video card :p

Edit: Also i mean if it were me id call Newegg, and tell the mit was broken when it arrived DOA, i wouldnt care what others think, if i killed something like that Id try to return it even if i had to lie.

Just curious...he was trying to install this on a A64 motherboard correct...he didnt try to install this on a 462 socket board?

On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to contact AMD and give them an honest explanation on what happened. Who knows? They may just help. It never hurts to give it an honest try ... -- Paul

Oc byagi, what do you mean by that does what have the sae size ?

You an try it 2 diff way's call them say you broke it by accident, if they say no, hand up call again and say it was broken when u got it. :p

Yeah, I refuse to encourage him to lie.

As for the board, I personally got the board for him, and it is a socket 754. Could we stick an older 2200+ on that board for the time being?

Lol common i now some of you have Lied to a computer store about something that u broke.

I know i have once. I got a replacement to, its much better the npaying $300 for another one. Also that so called, thing where it raisies prices for others whe nu do that is a Myth,

Shmuck said:
Yeah, I refuse to encourage him to lie.

As for the board, I personally got the board for him, and it is a socket 754. Could we stick an older 2200+ on that board for the time being?

No...the 754 MB's are not backward compatible with the 462 CPU's...

Back