• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats safe ddr voltage for a64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd say anything below 3.2v from what I've seen. It's also advisable not to mess around too much with the +3.3v rail.

WOW, not cool advise.
3.2V to DDR will kill it
DDR is a 2.5V part and voltage over 2.8V will most likly hurt it witout proper cooling.

Running above 2.8v is quite normal, I'd say about 90% of members on this BB with modern-day systems do. I ran my Winbond CH5-based memory at 3.0v for over a year in my NF7. .13 micron and spec'ed at 2.5v. No problems at all, no airflow at all in that system, either, in fact. Many others have ran around 3.3v with some modules and good airflow without issue.

The A64 is different as the onboard memory controller often has problems with high vdimm levels. The memory has no problems, but the processor often dies around 3.3v+ range.

Not as respectful a response that I'd expect from a senior member.

Gautam said:
Running above 2.8v is quite normal, I'd say about 90% of members on this BB with modern-day systems do. I ran my Winbond CH5-based memory at 3.0v for over a year in my NF7. .13 micron and spec'ed at 2.5v. No problems at all, no airflow at all in that system, either, in fact. Many others have ran around 3.3v with some modules and good airflow without issue.

The A64 is different as the onboard memory controller often has problems with high vdimm levels. The memory has no problems, but the processor often dies around 3.3v+ range.

Not as respectful a response that I'd expect from a senior member.

Yea.. 3.2V should be fine... Wasn't it OPPAINTER that killed like 6, with his chipset Vmod?

BTW, Im running 2.8Vdimm right now and its fine =P (plain crucial stuffz-- sticker and all :D )

guy asked for a SAFE DDR speed.
and that would only be a 10% incress in voltage.

jAY said:
guy asked for a SAFE DDR speed.
and that would only be a 10% incress in voltage.

since when? 3.0V is plenty safe to me.. Theres tons of people that run 3.0-3.3V all the time around here... I'm willing to go up to 3.3V myself... guess it could be preference, but stock for a lot of ram is 2.6V, and my new Pc4000 is rated at 2.7.... so 10% would be 2.97.

If you buy fancy Pre overclocked RAM thats been tested for 2.8V and they say its stock... its still a 2.5V part.

I dont see alot of this RAM lasting that is run over 3V…
True you probably wont care if it dies early, but some people do.

3V is not a safe Voltage, its an acceptable risk you are willing to take. But it is still a risk non the less.

If you are new to overclocking, I would recommend 2.8V maybe 2.9V max to start with for DDR Voltage. Once you get comfortable with overclocking, know you have good case cooling and such, then you might want to venture onto riskier grounds.

30% voltage increases is what is generally accepted to be in the safe range.

Do you have any proof, not intuition, that memory modules will have a premature failure date if using slightly above 3v?

i have 2 sticks of crucial ram pc2700 running at fsb of 205 2.9v in bios and mbm says 3.01v running that way for about a year now 1 stick is cooled by a tt fan cooled spreder and the other doesnt have any spreder on it the fan from the 1 stick blows on it though
still barly warm to the touch.

i guess its just how long you want to keep your ran and how well you cool it just like a processor that will determine what is safe

Back