• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which stress tests?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

Alright, I'm finally slowing bumping up my system, now that I've got my memory and am piecing everything together. My question is, which tests in Prime, Sandra, and Memtest86 (haven't actually loaded it up yet) should I run to test various parts of the system?

For today, I just started bumping up the RAM to see what I could post at, just looking for a general place to start and jumping up 10Mhz a reboot. Posts fine @ 220, no post @ 230, so I'm running 10x220 right now for my first iteration of tests, 37C idle (still haven't lapped my HSF like I want to, so I'm hoping that will help a little). Thing that sucks is this computer is near a window, so at night it runs 32-33C idle, and midday with no cloud cover it runs 38-39C idle. Gonna have to figure out something to do about that.

Thanks for the help getting started ... the last two months trying to round up parts seems like it's taken forever. :)

- Dave

First i would drop your multiplier to 9 and try to see how far you can go on your fsb than test it with memtest86 to see if it will pass in one run thru all14 or 15 tests i think. Once you know what your mem can safely handle without errors than run prime95. If prime95 fails just up your vcore and also use the test labaled blended as this tests both mem and processor and a few other things. Once you can run prime stable for 24 hrs then move onto 3dmark01. Let that loop for 12 hours too see if it will crash. Everyone has thier own perfernce for stability testing but i think you will benefit more by using multiple tests instead of just one.

Keep clockin

Alrighty, thanks. I was testing the FSB with a multiplier of 8, actually, I believe. Like I said, booted at 220 fine, no post at 230, so I'm gonna go back and start going up 1 Mhz at a time and then run Memtest86.

You recommending 3DMark01 since it's more CPU intensive than 3DMark03?

i recommand to run 2001 it will stress more your cpu and ram but runnig prime 95 (blend.... third test) at 10 priority for 12 hours will be more than enough
u can also run prime and 3d mark 2001 togther
note: runnig prime at 10 priority u can t use your pc
if you what to run borth prime and 3d mark 2001
just set prime priority at 1 and run 3dmark loop
go sleep
if your computeur still working when u wake up what mean your stable :)
note: watch your temp before

Back