• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via K8T800 Pro without pci/agp lock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look very carefully at the chipset being used...it's simply the K8T800. Abit is responsible for naming it 'PRO'.
abit

In the same box it says K8T800 Pro with 2000mhz HT To my knowledge the K8T800 only supports 1600mhz HT Add that to the fact that VIA has pulled this bait & switch re locks before and I wouldn't write this of as a simple mistake. In fact his shots of the BIOS clearly show it is the K8T800 Pro. Same old via...

Last edited:
Errr no, that is the K8T800 Pro. Look at the left side of the box. Only the Pro supports a 2000MHz HT bus. The KV8 is K8T800 based, and it does not have a PCI or AGP lock.

Chuckman said:
looks to me like the k8t800 pro isnt even released yet:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/chipsets/chipsets.jsp

seems like either this is a preproduction board with a non-working bios, or is using the plain-jane k8t800 as NE noticed. my bet is the latter. besides which, i dont see any retailers selling it, just the kv8 and kv8-max3.

VIA will be announcing release of this product sometime this week.

still, it's up to the m/b makers to enable or disable the locks; for all we know the chipset might have it even though this particular m/b doesn't.

The chipset has it but it seems we're either
a) looking at a situation where Abit reps don't know that it does have a PCI lock. They would not be the first as MSI reps said their nForce2 did not have a PCI lock but, after many threads, we found out that it did.

b) looking at a situation when Abit released a non-PCI locked mobo while other manufacturers will release a PCI-locked mobo.

Consider Abit's reputation versus that of VIA's and you can understand why I think that, at least in this incarnation, the K8T800 Pro will not have an AGP/PCI lock.

Just to reiterate what I told Gautam in a PM, the Inquirer wrote back to confirm that they stand by their story that VIA K8T800 Pro (not K8T800) will have a PCI lock.

They may be wrong but thet're not the only ones reporting that this is so... We'll know either way soon.

c627627 said:
Just to reiterate what I told Gautam in a PM, the Inquirer wrote back to confirm that they stand by their story that VIA K8T800 Pro (not K8T800) will have a PCI lock.

They may be wrong but thet're not the only ones reporting that this is so... We'll know either way soon.

VIA is telling them that they have a PCI lock. VIA's PR guy is confirming it.

Quick clearly if the Abit doesnt have a PCI lock then it is not Via's fault rather Abit have not implemented it in their Bios. Other thing to consider is the reviewer in question and whether he merely got his settings wrong?
I have to say though for future proofing a maximum FSB of 255 in the reference boards seems a little light.

Back