• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

labinnac

Registered
A few months back I bought a AMD Barton 2500+ (unlocked I believe), along with a ABIT NF7-S and 512 MB (2x256) PC 3200 Kingston Memory.

I know this question has probably been anwsered in previous posts but in my searching I couldnt find an anwser that was specific enough.

I have a few questions actually, first off, I wouldnt mind jumping up the FSB to 200, so the DDR400 memory could be used to its fullest but one thing keeps me from doing this, cooling. Right now I have a Lian-Li case with 2 front fans, one top blow hole, and one fan on the rear with stock fan/heatsink on the CPU. I am afraid my temperatures may get too hot with the stock cooling. With the temperatures being so high in Florida Im pretty sure some after market cooling would be needed to keep it under the 55 C load, this is the safest load temperature, correct? But, will stock cooling be able to keep it cool enough? Right now at stock speeds the CPU temperature is 43C and the case is 30C, and I assume that they get into the 50's when under load (gaming). I guess the main thing I want to know is will the stock heatsink/fan be able to keep it cool enough or is an after market HSF needed and which one would be the best choice?

Another question, Artic Silver, how well does it work, I am tempted to buy some even if CPU temperatures on drop a few degrees, thats better than nothing.

Thanks for any help,
labinnac

there are several things you can try before throwing away the stock cooler. first is get a better thermal paste.
AS5 can make about 2-5C difference in load temp after it settles in.
Also lap the bottom of that heatsink, it should score you another 2-4C off.

>>Also lap the bottom of that heatsink, it should score you another 2-4C off<<

Could you please explain "lapping the bottom of the heatsink"? I am not familiar with the process.

Thanks!

Back