• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can you help an intel guy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cigma77

Registered
ok my roommate is upgrading his computer from a amd xp2000
to a xp 2600. Well he bought the 2600mp(2.13) instead and he would like to know if a mp will work in a one cpu ystem. I know very little about amd mp chips as smp is not my thing. I did some searching here and in smp but didn't come up with anything. thanks in advace if you can help.

Well, the mp indicates multiple processors; IMO try to return / exchange for a Regular Athlon XP

2600mp, right, multiple. i hope it doesn't mean mobile? if it's a mobile, tell him to keep it. if it's a multiple, it should work in a single-cpu system but he can save some $ if he exchanges it for a regular xp (or better yet, a mobile :p).

Well, I know that regular desktop chips can be modded by connecting bridges to a mp chip. Therefore, I would assume that it would work in a single chip board. However, MP chips do cost significantly more, and there won't be any performance increase, so I would recommend he take it back and get a regular desktop chip.

Back