• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2600+ Barton toasted ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raenk

Hi all, well, I tried an OC via FSB and now my machine won't start.

I have a M7NCD Biostar mobo, it just allowes to move the FSB and some RAM settings. My cpu is 333mhz and memories are PC2700 (333mhz) and my mobo supports up to 400mhz.

So I pump up the FSB to 400mhz (200) and set memories to work at 83%, so it gave 333 (166). When I rebooted it passed the bootloader (linux - windows) and then froze. Then I rebooted again to change the bios settings and when I was at bios it froze. Rebooted again and nothing, no video sign at all, just LEDs turned on and fansm, but nothing happening. I reset the bios and still same problem.

The weird thing is the mobo is not beeping as usual when somethings wrong. So i removed the cpu and the die isn't black as a toasted sign or smells. It seems right (for a semi-newbie expertise). And can't tell if anyother part is toasted including the mobo.

What could it be or how can I check it ? I dont have other machine to try the parts one by one.

Is it possible to burn a cpu just increasing the FSB without moving volts ? Cos I can't move them at all, my mobo doesn't support it.

I really need hep with this as I need to know what part got ruined it such case to buy the new one. I don't wanna buy one while the old one works yet.

Thanks

LOL the cpu won't be black o n the outside or even on the inside 4 that matter....You might have fried your board at least that is what it sounds like to me....RMA your board and or get a new one. I would get a DFI infifnity and flash to 1/21 bios or an abit NF7 s rev 2 (not sure on good oc 4 them) then at least u will have a nice oc board. If that dosn't solve the problem then our mem or cpu or other is dead...i would try a new mobo first though as no volts where put through anything.

Thanks for your answer. How can I be sure is the mobo ? I need to be some where 95% sure to buy it cos I don't have the money to keep spending while guessing which part doesn't work :)

What is RMA by the way ?

He hasn't even reset CMOS (Raenk, try resetting CMOS - there should be a jumper on your board to do this, and it should be explained in your mobo manual).

Telling someone to RMA their overclocked hardware before they even troubleshoot it is just going to leave them without their hardware for atleast a week, when they could potentially fix the problem in seconds.

Turn off your computer, unplug the PSU, press the power button to ensure all power is drained, find the cmos jumper, move it over so that it covers the middle pin and the pin that was uncovered, let it sit for 1 second, move it back - now put the power cord back in and see if the computer starts up.

If you cannot find the cmos jumper, find the cmos battery (looks like a big watch battery) and just remove it from its clip... Leave it out for 30 seconds to 5 minutes then put it back in and try to start your computer.

RMA: means making a warranty claim and returning defective hardware to purchaser.

Last edited:
IMOG said:
He hasn't even reset CMOS (Raenk, try resetting CMOS - there should be a jumper on your board to do this, and it should be explained in your mobo manual).

Telling someone to RMA their overclocked hardware before they even troubleshoot it is just going to leave them without their hardware for atleast a week, when they could potentially fix the problem in seconds.

Turn off your computer, unplug the PSU, press the power button to ensure all power is drained, find the cmos jumper, move it over so that it covers the middle pin and the pin that was uncovered, let it sit for 1 second, move it back - now put the power cord back in and see if the computer starts up.

If you cannot find the cmos jumper, find the cmos battery (looks like a big watch battery) and just remove it from its clip... Leave it out for 30 seconds to 5 minutes then put it back in and try to start your computer.

Thanks, but I did it already

Are you sure it reset? Have you done it before so you know what works with your motherboard?

I just ask because some boards can be finicky with how they respond to CMOS resets, and if you aren't very careful about how you do it they bios may not reset at all.

Try removing the CPU and turning it on to see if the board posts... Shouldn't it post with a message that says "no CPU detected" or give a beep code then or something?

Might want to check this out:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=286001

Do you have ANY extra hardware that you could try with this stuff? OR do you have a friend who you could get to let you try your CPU in his rig?

Last edited:
I've done it before and did the exact same procedure this time and nothing. Also tried to turn it on without any ram to see if it beeps but nothing. The mobo isn't beeping either without cpu. Only LED's turn on and fans. (LAN and Power On LED's)

I let the mobo the whole night with the CMOS jumper set to reset (covering 2 and 3 pin) with anything but the cpu on it and didn't work either.

:(

Now I have removed the battery, wait for a while, and set it up and no sign still.

I'm already resigned for a lost, either mobo or cpu, but I need to know which to buy it, I need my PC working ASAP. So I just wanna know what would it be ? Discard one thing or the other.

The cpu may still got fried even if I just moved the FSB and didn't touch the volts (mobo wont allowed) ? Or viceversa with the mobo ?

RMA is to get a return on the board from the manufacture and get a new one. So as of now that i what i would do get a new board RMA the old one and sell it here once u get 100 posts. But yeas as of now i am 99% sure that it is your mobo.

This new fact has arrived:

Floppy LED doesnt lite or flash when I turn the PC on.

I'm about to add a mobo on my shopping online cart and check out

Back