• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Mobile voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I'm currently running my new (to me) mobile 2500+ and getting some sweet speeds on it.

Does 2.4GHz at 1.6V actual (1.575 bios, lowest my A7N8X will go).
Doing 2.5GHz, 200x12.5 at 1.75 actual (1.7 bios).

What do you people reccomend as a maximum safe voltage. This thing is on water and as far as I can tell for block temps, stone cold. I want this thing to last at least 1-2 years also so I don't want to burn it up.

I've got my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0GHz, 266MHz fsb) overclocked to 2.5GHz on a 400Mhz fsb using 2.15 volts for the last 2 years and I've never had a problem. I'm using a 5200 BTU air-conditioner directly blowing cold air into my case. My temps are around 28 Celsius idle and 38-41 Celsius at full load.:drool:

If you're looking for an absolute "safe limit", you won't find that here. Keep in mind that any increase in voltage increases the chance of failure. That said, if you want percentages, it is probably about 99.5% safe to raise the voltage to about 1.75v.

As for an upper limit on air though, 1.85 is about as high as I would go, but then again, some people run 2v for years and never have a problem. It's all about how lucky you feel, and if you are willing to replace a fried chip.

Since I feel lucky and am willing to replace the CPU, I raise the voltage:)

Edit: I would say the voltage limit on Mobiles are the same as for the standard Desktop Bartons since they are essentially the same chip.

1.8-1-85 volt is pretty safe, i would say even up to 1.9 is ok if you have good cooling. i run mine 1.8v all the time, np.

I've had mine running for 2 months now @ 1.93 volts vcore on Torin air...

Thanks guys. My mobo will go to a max of 1.85 bios, or 1.9 actual, and I have H2O, so cooling isn't a problem.

cool, g/l Rufus :)

you could be doing 2.6 at 1.8v, which is way sweet...

let us know man

The following link gives detailed discussion of

- the different voltage level for Tbred/Barton/mobile Barton
..... stock voltage
..... max absolute voltage
..... effective overclocking voltage
- the relationship between voltage, frequency and temperature, ...,
- how to determine max voltage and frequency of an overclocking CPU
- the tradeoff between voltage, frequency, temperature, ...,
- the effect of high voltage on CPU failure time (life expectancy), ....

CPU voltage: from stock to max absolute, from efficient overclocking to diminishing return (page 19)

Damn.......That is a nery nice compendium of information hitech. What are you, a chip engineer of some sort?

I don't feel so bad about extra voltage now.

Well, how's 204x12.5, 2550MHz, 1.80V.

Need to do the socket mod listed, but if I can crank FSB I'll take that too. :D

2.6 here I come.....

I'm running my Mobile 2600+ @ 2650MHz and 1.825 (mobo undervolts, bios set to 1.875).

It's a barton core, so it's default is really 1.65v, so 10% of that is 0.165, let's say 0.15 so it should be fine till 1.85v.

That's my thought.
Suma.

Rufus, that's just where my results are :p except i am on air :(, what your temps at that speed?

2.3 votls, baby!

go dr. frankenstein, and TURN UP THE JUICE, BABY!

when overclocking, take a shot for every .025 volts u turn it up.

it'll seem like nothin' when you're at 1.8 V.

One possible problem, MBM reports that my +5V line sags a bit when I get really high in speeds. Starts going down to the 4.8 range. My digidoc reports that the line from the PSU is fine, so I guess the mobo can't pull enough power.

Now I wonder if I can boost the line from my PSU a bit......

Back