• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2600XP+ Barton Core OC Potential

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=colonel=

I have the above CPU on an Asus A7V8X-X mobo and am relatively new to overclocking CPU's (GPU's normally).

Can someone let me know the clocking potential of this chip as a friend told me that it would go as high as a 3200XP+.......

Also, I need to know the safest way of doing this and in what stages for FSB and multiplier adjustments.

Also, can I overclock to a certain point before I need to change the stock HSF to a more heavy duty one...

I need to unleash the power of this chip..... :)

Attachments

• colpic.gif
    colpic.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 126
The overclok will be influenced by the cooling, if you have retail cooling, you may do 2.2 GHz...

and RAM, since

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier,
regardless of the chip, you won't do the same with PC2700 RAM as you would with PC3200 for example.

If this is a recently manufatired chip, it will also be multiplier locked, limiting you to FSB overclocks.

You don't have an nForce2 chipset mobo, so if you have PC2700 ram, you may only be able to hit high 180s FSB or low 190s FSB safely.

You probably wont be able to pass 3200+ speeds on the stock cooler. Is it unlocked? If it is, set it at 200x11 and watch your temps. If its locked, slowly up the FSB and keep the PCI as close to 33 as possible, and WATCH YOUR TEMPS!!!

My other rig has a A7V8X-X, first i suggest the bios upgrade if you want. I had a aero 7+ on it and the mobile 2600 is capable of 2.46 ghz at 1.7 pretty stable. On 2.4ghz you can run 1.65V but a7v8x-x tends to undervolt so do 1.675. 2.2ghz can be done at 1.550 prime stable but summer is coming so make it 1.575 and I think u'd be fine. Good Luck. since you don't have the 6:2:1 divider, you can do 15x166 at 1.8 prime stable and 13x170 at 1.6 with a half decent heatsink.

Back