• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc 2000+ Xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Hello all,
Im new to overclocking and I want to get to the basics. Right now i have a Amd Athlon 2000+ Palomino LOCKED cpu, an Abit NF7-S v2 motherboard and 1 stick of Kingston DDR-SDRAM - PC 2700 (512megs). I know that i got a great mobo for overclocking n all but i also know my cpu sucks for overclocking. I see people with there cpu at like 2.2 ghz and i cant even hit 1.75ghz. Where would i go about overclocking my cpu? My fsb is at 133 (266ddr) and i cant really go any higher to hit stability, i have NOT increased my voltages yet though. Any suggestions please?

Well back in the days, whe nthe ti 4600 came out and the Pally's best stepping was AGOIA. Me and Mazimum, got 2000mhz on our cpu's. Tho he had the 1600+ i had the 2000+.

Where are u seeing a 2000+ Pally getting 2.2ghz cuss i have never seen that before unless ity using some extreme cooling.

My suggestion would be to INCREASE the voltage. Go to like 1.85v for the cpu and to 2.8 for youre memory. Whats youre cpu temps ?

2000+ Palominos do not overclock that high.
2000+ Thoroughbreds do.
Thoroughbred A maybe 2.0 GHz, Thoroughbred B maybe 2.3 GHz, but not Palomino.

You will probably find even with good air cooling, sufficient power supply and capable RAM you will only get around 1.8GHz on a locked XP2000 Palomino - thats around the norm. Get yourself a TBred or better still mobile Barton to justify the good mobo you have!

c627627 said:
2000+ Palominos do not overclock that high.
2000+ Thoroughbreds do.
Thoroughbred A maybe 2.0 GHz, Thoroughbred B maybe 2.3 GHz, but not Palomino.

Youre wrong, few very few Pally's 1600+ or 2000+ can reach 2ghz, iv done it before.

This was using a Asus a7v333 rev 1.02 board, 1x 256mb pc2700 samsung ti 4600,

I used 2v to reach 2000mhz, but using a 24/7 speed i got 1940mhz using 1.90v

Well guys last night i messed around with my FSB. I managed to hit 1.8ghz at an fsb of 145 and 1.85 V core, unstable though i believe. I tryed putting it at 2 ghz but my computer wouldnt even turn on lol. My ram i had to up that to 2.8 V. The ram is by Atlas Precision, with kingston chips installed on it, its at 2700. I have air cooling right now, and i dont plan on changing it cuz i am rather short on $$$ for a while. I think i got a thermaltake heatsink, its been keeping my cpu at about 41 idle and 44 load. This morning i got real board and i slapped (screwed) another fan onto the side of the heatsink to get air blowing straight through the fins and now its at about 40 idle and 43 load. Although something that scared me to death is i ran Prime95 to test my oc and inless than a minute it said my cpu temp was at about 57.5 C! Oh and i got a expensive little thermaltake 300w powersupply, i plan on getting one with a higher Wattage but i do not beleive i would need to right now..I dont have a cdrom and a floopy connected so i guess those not being connected will provide the mobo with extra wattage. Hope this helps!

You're stock speed is 1.667 and you're unstable at 1.8 GHz. This is not unusual for your setup.

As stated earlier, you're not going to be able to get much out of a Palomino and 2 GHz may only be achievable with a Thoroghbred B processor. Even Thoroughbred A may have a difficult time hitting 2 GHz on your setup.

Your cheapest replacement is 2100+ B for under $50.

It's the cores, not the PR rating that you want to look at, Palominos only scale to 2100+, Thoroughbred B's scale to 2800+, there's a reason for that, it's an indicator of how they overclock: http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=168

Some few i say again can get 2ghz, but everyone is right on some parts most almost all Pally's never got to 2ghz, 1.8 was about the highest most got to.

What are youre cpu temps? I would try and increase the voltage 1.90v to get the 1.8 stable.

Back