• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Local store that overclocks all thier cpu's for u, to test which is better !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
I have a local store over here in Virginia, and if you pay them $20 they will take all thier OEM cpu's and overclock them to the max and test them for stability and which ever is the highest overclocker you can buy it and thier prices, are like Internet prices, im talking like $80 for a 2500+.

Of course they only do this on AMD proc's, but still i think thats a pretty tight store. I asked if he could order some 2500 m's and do that to them and he said yea he can. Now thats cool.

Yeah, but if he overclocks them, then the person who buys those processors won't have a warrenty :(.

Radical said:
Yeah, but if he overclocks them, then the person who buys those processors won't have a warrenty :(.

Anyone who doesnt use a AMD stock heatink...either it be Retail or OEM does not have a warranty either...

Or if you use something other then the silcon thermal paste you voided the warranty also...

I could go on with what would void a warranty...not just OCing voids a warranty anymore...

Re: Local store that overclocks all thier cpu's for u, to test which is better !!

CandymanCan said:
I have a local store over here in Virginia, and if you pay them $20 they will take all thier OEM cpu's and overclock them to the max and test them for stability and which ever is the highest overclocker you can buy it and thier prices, are like Internet prices, im talking like $80 for a 2500+.

Of course they only do this on AMD proc's, but still i think thats a pretty tight store. I asked if he could order some 2500 m's and do that to them and he said yea he can. Now thats cool.

How exactly they test and pick CPU for customers?

Do they use thermal paste on each CPU? If so, after few test, some CPU will look like used, or technically considered as used.
What is the highest voltage they apply for testing?
How stability is tested, using Prime95, ...? How long is stability tested.

Another possibility is testing CPU at low voltage, and extrapolate the overclockability from low voltage, ...

they use Heatsinks from what i heard and i highly doubt the yraise the voltage much if they even do, and that isnt better then watercooling.

If a CPU is just tested at a lower voltage, without putting full voltage, thermal paste, full high temperature to cycle through stability testing, a promising result at low voltage may not extrapolate and translate into a desirable high overclocking at higher voltage and power dissipation.

There exists some chips that show good potential at lower voltage, but may top out early at certain voltage and frequency lower than some chips that show less promising result at a lower voltage.

Anyway it looks good. They may test every CPU they get, so:
1. customer would be satisfied
2. seller gets more $$$

dont buy anthing from that store.
Selling pre tested CPU's ruins the sport of overclocking IMHO
Stores that pre test keep all the overclocking Gems, and only sell KRUD to people that dont pay the extra money for a "GOOD OVERCLOCKER"

I rember in the Celeron Days how many stores like taht popped up... not cool at all.

My advise, do not support that type of store

Back