• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt PSU work for 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, it's hard to find the specks on that thing. I eventually found them from a picture of the side of the thing where you could read the sticker, here is what it said:

12V - 34A
5V - 30A
3.3V - 28A

so apparently this thing can put out 34 amps on the 12V line. Your 226W will draw about 19 amps and your 80W will draw about 7 (assuming these power ratings are at 12Volts) That adds up to a total of 26 amps, well under the rated 34.

One thing to note is that if you add up all the rated curents and voltages you get about 650Watts, well above the 550 they say. This is because you can't draw maximum current from all the lines at once. I think you will be ok running the pelts of this thing, but I wouldn't try to run your pelts and your computer from it. Also, I believe that you need to put some load on the 5V line in order for the power supply to function properly. A 5 ohm resistor will work for this.

quote from newegg reviews (thanks lord zyzyx):

I had this PSU for about 2-3 mouths now and I had no problems at all, for thouhs who dont know about volt reading, the 12v should not be at -11V. +11v is ok!

I RECOMMAND THIS POWER SUPPLY!

seriously though, you can do better... dedicated psu's are more expensive but you won't have all those wires everywhere :)

Ok im new to comps and stuff but i got my 226w working but what is 5v ground? explain please im a noob. but anyhow im still good at running both pelt even though it says 550 when it draws 650.

Ground is essentially just 0 volts. Physically it is the earth and anything directly connected to it so it has the same electric potential (Voltage). For your power supply, all the BLACK wires are ground, as well as the metal casing.

+5V implies an electrical potential of 5V. On your power supply the RED wires are +5V.

Current flows according to the law: Current = Voltage/Resistance where Current is in Amps, Voltage in Volts, and Resistance in Ohms.

This would mean that a 1 Ohm resistor connected to the +5V line, and to the ground, would have 5 amps of current going through it.

Power = Voltage*Current, if Voltage is in Volts, and Current is in amps, Power will be in Watts (joules/second)

And there is your little electrical lesson for the day ;)

If you want to learn more, there is lots on the net and in text books. Look for things like "Ohms law" or "kirchoff's law" to start with. It's all pretty easy stuff, and really usefull to know when you start playing around inside your computer.

i have a Enermax EG 651P rated at 36 amps on the 12v rail and its not enough to run my "single" 226 watt TEC ! it runs it but my idle temp is no lower than 40c !!! (insufficiant power) those big pelts need their own ps minumun 20a preferably 25-30 amps. i was going to buy a Meanwell S320 that is recomended for the 226w tec, but ive already spent enough money on my TEC experiments :( water cooling next ! screw the pelts LOL

Back