• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which AMD CPU is best for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VisEtVirtus

I'm looking at building an AMD gaming rig and overclocking it, but I'm new to AMD processors. I already know that the AMD fx51 and 53 are good. I'm looking for something that I would actually be able to afford. If someone could point me in the right direction as to which cpu, mobo, and maybe even ram would be the best for performance in games and overclocking I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

a amd 64 3200. but it' s relatively new to the overclocking scene since few mobos had a working pci/agp lock. most people are hung up in the mobile xp craze.

fx-55 is best as of now I believe. But it is way pricey, and from what I hear none of the motherboards for it overclock worth a durn, and that socket 939 is what to wait for.

When socket 939 comes, I plan on going with one of AMD's faster 64bits and the motherboard with the most OC potential.

As of now, it is the smart choice to wait for 939.

You forgot to mention your budget.
CPU, mobo, RAM...

my budget is anywhere up to $800, but thats including a new HD and psu.

Will the prices for the other AMD cpu's come down a little when the socket 939's come out? I assume they will.

ya... the new cpu's arnt to overclockable...I personally wouldn't get the fx's...tad over priced...get the 3400+ 64...its a good benchmarker

Will the prices for the other AMD cpu's come down a little when the socket 939's come out? I assume they will.
I think that's what everyone is hoping. I know I am! :) Socket 754 is apparently still going to be around for awhile, though.

I'd wait on A64 period, until prices drop drastically.

CPU:
-Athlon 2400+ XP-M from excaliberpc (they have guaranteed "I" steppings, which overclock like mad)

Mobo:
-Albatron KX18D Pro or Pro II. Two boards have the second best voltages for overclocking, next to the DFI's. DFI's have major quality control issues so I personally would not recommend one. Read my review on the boards:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=91825

RAM:
-Kreton PC3500 on NewEgg is the cheapest RAM with Winbond CH-5 chips right now. If you want the best OC RAM though, look for some with Winbond BH-5/BH-6 on eBay or elsewhere. It's getting quite rare, but would be a great investment as you should be able to use it on an A64 board when you upgrade (think DDR-II is a ways off). Plus Winbond has stopped manufacturing it's chips, so it's not getting any cheaper and there is nothing better on the horizon...

Back