• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Mainboard for overclocking Athlon XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ace

Registered
I need to buy a new computer. Can you tell me what is the best mainboard for overclocking with a good perfomance. Do you have any experiences with any of these boards:
MB ASUS A7V266-MX
MB ASUS A7V8X-MX
MB ASUS A7V8X-X
MB ASUS A7V600-X
MB ASUS A7V600
MB ASUS A7N8X-X
MB ASUS A7N8X-E DeLuxe
MB ASUS A7N8X-E DeLuxe
MB PC Chips M811LU
MB FIC AM39L, Via KM400
MB FIC AN19, Via KT400A
MB FIC KT-600 Pro
MB Gigabyte 7VT600 1394
Via KT400A

Thanks.:cool:

Please dont get a PC Chips, or FIC board, you'll be sorry if you do.

How about an Abit NF7? That's regarded as being the best overclocking motherboard for the Athlons. But if you really want to get one that is Asus, then get the A7N8X. Get the best version of that you can.

And in your sig, the FX5200 is not a GeForce 4 card, its a GeForce FX card.

Try to get an nForce2 chipset mobo. ... I think you listed only one nForce2, ASUS A7N8X...

Abit, DFI and Soltek perform better than Asus but Asus nForce2 has nice features, so it depends what's available to you and at what price...

Yes don't leave out the DFI Ultra Infinity orLan Party B boards. They are easily the best AMD overclocker board out now and the price of the Ultra is very good. If you want all the UV stuff gor for the Lan Party B, its the same board just UV. Not to mention the support you get by reps on multiple forums uncluding this one is unbeatable.

I just ordered an Abit NF7-S today from Newegg. I'll keep you guys informed on how it works out if I can. But, on topic, I would personally get the NF7 or the NFII Ultra Infinity boards. Do not get a lower lever Asus, trust me, I have one and I can read the temps in BIOS and that's it. You'll have to check the others to see if they allow for overclocking at all.

Even if you don't have the money, wait untill you have enough for high quality components, otherwise you will be kicking yourself when you have no money (because you spent it all on your PC) and can't upgrade the component that is holding your PC's performance back.

At least you want to get a good CPU, Mobo, Memory, and PSU.

The other stuff won't limit your overclock (unless you use a mobo that doesn't have a PCI or AGP lock (see: non nForce2 mobos)) but will limit things such as game performance (Vid Card) and speed at which you can access large programs and games (HDD)

Back