• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bornagain Newbie 2500M/NF7S Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guttapercha

Hi all, haven't built a system since '97 , as I've been off-the-shelf for a while with a Dell. I finally got brave enough to order the following from NewEgg to try my hand at something new:

NF7-S
XP2500M
Kingston DDR400
WD 80G SATA
Zalman heatsink/fan ($20 version)
Antec 350W PS

I need to know what to do when booting for the first time, because I've gathered that the MOBO doesn't recognize the processor. Do I need to go into the Bios straight away and make changes?

What are some reasonable conservative settings for FSB/mult to start loading windows? Do I need to mess with memory timing or PCI timing, ratio, etc. to just get started?

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who is OCing locally, so I have to be a bit of a pest with this post.

Thanks,

Guttapercha

Yeah, you'll have to type in the settings for your processor.

Whatever the FSB is of the chip is divided by the actuall speed of the processor to get the multi.

You do not have to mess with other settings, RAM settings should be SPD, and others should be already set.

Good Luck, and Welcome To The Forums. :)

dude, you're going to helll...

To start off, I'd install the L12 mod to default the chip to 200fsb. You will want to do it later and it will save you one try ripping the heatsink off. Here's some linkage:
http://www.geocities.com/trats102002/nf7sFsbsense.html

200fsb*10multi is also a good setting to start off with. You shouldn't have to tweak with anything else ;)

Hmmm....I was under the impression that the mobile athlon did not require any physical modding with the NF7-s. And yes, I already plan on a toasty time with satan :p

Wait a sec....do I have to do the L12 MOD to put in 200 *10? Or, is the L12 Mod for going 220+?

Confused again

guttapercha said:
Hmmm....I was under the impression that the mobile athlon did not require any physical modding with the NF7-s. And yes, I already plan on a toasty time with satan :p

you don't need any mods...

the L12 mode is for helping you achieve higher fsb WHEN OVERCLOCKING FSB OVER 200MHz. for normal operations just set fsb to 200 or 166 or whatever.

when you first boot up, bios will halt and ask you to set cpu speed. press DEL to get to it.

if you are refering to "unknown cpu at ****MHz" message when the system is booting up, it's normal, just something nf7's do... doesn't affect anything, ignore it.

wicked-one, are there advantages of defaulting fsb to 200 over defaulting it to 166?

Back