• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where is AMD going?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

russm

I was just wondering if anyone knew which direction AMD is going these days, will we see anymore socket a chips? are the 64 bit chips going to be the wave of the future?

I am just trying to get an idea of where they are headed, so i know when to upgrade or even if i should. with pci x coming, im wondering if they will release socket a boards with it, or if it would just be better for me to buy a 64 bit board when they get released.

what does everyone know so far?

thanks! the chart was a bit confusing to read... but i get the general idea that socket a is through, and if i want to stay with amd i am going to have to go with 64 bit, what was up with teh duron section? is that going to be the socket a of today? cuase it said it was gonna go up to like 4000+ but was it 64 or 32 bit? 32 im guessing, anyone know more about that duron?

It most probably will not be called Duron, but it'll be the single-channel value line. It will have no AMD64 support.

Yes socket A is over. Athlon 64 is 25% faster than XP at same GHZ. This means that 2.2 GHz 64 beats 2.8 GHz Barton, roughly speaking.

How would you make the chart easier to read please?

it might have something to do with these computers at school having 800x600 resolution, and the massive size of the document.

Resolution is video card / monitor related, modern CPUs will not make your video card/monitor display at higher resolutions.

well i ll most likely upgrgade to a 64 then instead of an barton 2500 then, thx for the info....

c627627 said:
Resolution is video card / monitor related, modern CPUs will not make your video card/monitor display at higher resolutions.

i dont quite think your following me... the out put resolution of these systems is 800x600...
the document is much larger then that, meaning i have to scroll left and right up and down to read the whole thing, making it more difficult to read.

at home with 1600x1200 ill be fine

A video card or monitor upgrade is a solution for the problem you describe. The fact that those systems also have a slower CPU or mobo or RAM is not relevant to the scroll problem, it's relevant to system speed, etc. but not display. For that you need a video card or monitor upgrade.

The system will be just as slow as it used to be but it'll display the resolution the upgraded video card is capable of outputting and upgraded monitor is capable of displaying.

Last edited:
Dude, hes saying that the computers at his school are set to 800x600. Why in the world would the schools bother to fix this resolution, much less know that 800x600 sucks for display?

We talked about CPUs, than he said

russm said:
it might have something to do with these computers at school having 800x600 resolution, and the massive size of the document.

This was odd in the context of CPU discussion so just to make it clear, the reply to that post said that "it" has only to do with video cards and monitors not CPUs.

Well anyways. The current xp's support pci-x (found on servers) but not pci express. There is talk that 32 bit versions of the 754 will be made. I'm going to wait till I get out of high school to get a 64 system (most likely) by then there should be 8 Ghz AMD's (according to morres "law")

Back