• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Oc'ing problem (the imaginary overclock)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaz666

Registered
Hey guys

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem for me.......

The system in question is not the one shown in my sig but an older system that ive just started tinkering with after upgrading the mobo :

Athlon 1800+ ( one of the the older palominoe cores)
Chaintech ZENITH 7NJS-Ultra
512mb of pretty basic 2100 RAM (i know an upgrade is on order-in fact its already in the post)
400w PSU
Elsa GF3 GPU
and a non-discript tiny HDD

Now, I know that despite the excellant OC'ing features of the 7NJS mobo, I will never be able to get a decent OC with the systems current RAM....However, at the moment I dnt seem to be able to OC at all....Or to be more specific, I can up the FSB and multiplyer settings in the BIOS, (say to a 1900+ setting) restart the system and still be greeted with a 1800+ reading on the POST....its as if the CPU has completely ignored what I told it to do.....

Stranger still, the RAM/AGP slot react exactly how I would expect and respond to any setting changes with utmost zeal...(the GPU wont start if i up the FSB to high without locking its own frequency at a stantdard 66MHZ for instance)

I have tried upping the Voltages and fiddling with all the relevant settings, but to no avail.....obvioulsy Im missing or have forgotten something (and probably something quite basic knowing me).....so any help would be greatly appreciated...

BTW.....I used the "copper wire in the cpu socket" method to unlock the multiplier on the Athlon....maybe this does not work with palaminoe cores (yet i can still change the cpu ratio in the BIOS) and this is what is causing the problem?

anyway, hope someone can help...cheers ;)

You won't be able to overclock much with a Palomino. Also, if you are using retail cooling, Palomino heatsink will not let you do any overclocking that can be "felt".

The wire trick is only for mobos which can't post certain multis on factory unlocked CPUs. You have a factory locked CPU.

What are your goals?

My goals arent anything amazing.....this is just a secondary system after all....usually just used by my girfriend to play everquest on :rolleyes: ..........so im just messing about to see what i can do with it really.....

I have upgraded the heatsink and fan on the cpu to a big coolermaster jet 7+, which has knocked the temperature down the the 40's mark......

does the fact that its a palominoe core mean that despite being able to change the ratio in the BIOS, the setting changes arent actually making any difference?

and should i bother removing the copper wiring?

Your motherboard is based on the norce2 chipset.

This means your best coarse of action is to eBay the Palomino and get a 2100+ B for 2.3 GHz or a mobile Barton for 2.5 GHz or more.

Both of these can be used with your current RAM because they're multiplier unlocked.

The small investment is well worth it because you're looking at overclocked speeds from 2600+ to way into 3x00+...

ok, thanks a lot for your advice.

I have now managed to up the FSB to 143mhz which has got the cpu running a little faster at 1.6ghz as opposed to 1.5ghz.....the name of the cpu still dsnt change during the POST, but i presume that this is just cos it aint a big enough difference (and i couldnt care less whether it changes or not as long as Sisoft Sandra tells me it is actuallt running faster :) )

Am i right in thinking that it is possible to change the multiplier if i were to use some silver lacquer to connect the L1 Bridges (as shown on Tom's Hardware Site)? As i really cant afford to spend anymore on this machine (im a student and my student loan has long gone :D )

This means your best coarse of action is to eBay the Palomino and get a 2100+ B
Why would the 2100+ B be a Thoroughbred and why would it be unlocked? Did AMD stop manufacturing the 2100+ before they started locking chips/switching to Thortons?

2100+ B means 2100+ Thoroughbred B. All 2100+ B's ever made are multiplier unlocked and excellent overclockers (for Thoroughbreds).

It may be they're all unlocked because there doesn't appear to be any new 2100+ B's.

2100+ A's are rare and overclock 300 Mhz less than 2100+ B's on average.

Example code: AXDA2100DUT3C AIUHB 0248MPMW
0248 stands for 2002 week 48
See the example code where it says AIUHB above?
T-Bred A's have a stepping code which ends in "A": xxxxA are T-Bred A's
T-Bred B's have a stepping code which ends in "B": xxxxB are T-Bred B's

c627627 is correct. The Palomino's are unlocked. You will have to fill in the pits in the L1 bridges, and then use electrically conductive defogger repair kit paint to connect the dots. But, I am sure they explain it in further detail in c627627's link:
http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/AthlonXPUnlock/

Also if you do get them unlocked, it would be a pretty good overclock if you got it past 1.73GHz. I have a 2100+ Palomino and I am lucky if I can get it to 1.78-1.8 on 1.85vcore!! :eek:

Good Luck!
-0cer
:cool:

BTW, if you are decide on getting a new CPU, just about any tbred B is a good overclocker. Thortons too, they are bassically crippled bartons to be just like the tbred B.

Also, I heard of people getting around 2.2 to 2.5 Ghz on those 1.6Ghz Applebread Durons. They should be pretty cheap. You can also bridgemod them to enable more cache and make them almost like a tbred B. Bassically they are Tbred B's that are crippled with 1/3 the cache.

ok, thanks a lot for all your advice!!

i think you have convinced me now to try and find a new cpu with decent oc'ing ability (be a shame to waste the potential of my mobo now wouldn't it? :rolleyes: )

thanks again!

Back