• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 2500 or 2600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewbie

Hi, I am going to buy a new chip shortly and one of these seems to be the right ones to get. Is there any real diffrence in the two as far as overclockability? Also how does the multi. change on the go in the laptops and is there any way to utilize this in a desktop system w/ software or is this controled by something on the mainboard itself or the BIOS? The reason I ask is out of curiousity for lack of understanding how this process works. Thanks for any help !

Of what I've heard, theres no real OC diffrernce between the 2500 and the 2600, well, maybe 66MHz or so. The way you change the multiplier and FSB is thru the BIOS. Of what I know theres no way of doing it in your OS. If you have the cash and want to spend it, get the 2600. If your like me, get the 2500 or 2400. Anything below the 2400 prolly wont have the Barton core, so that means no 512kb L2 cache, only 256... Hope ya go well with your mobile! :)

Last edited:
Get a 2400+ XP-M from excaliberpc.com with an "I" stepping. IMO, there's no difference in overclockability between the chips, as they are all hand-picked processors, based on the same core design.

Also how does the multi. change on the go in the laptops and is there any way to utilize this in a desktop system w/ software or is this controled by something on the mainboard itself or the BIOS?
PowerNow! is not accessible by desktop boards. Don't worry about it.

Back