• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

226 watt pelt with a 500 watt psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
i wanna put a pelt on my cpu and cool it with my sp-94/panaflo high
but i was wondering if i could use the psu i have now
the +12v line is rated at 20a
and the 226 watt pelt i found was 20a at 12v
would this be safe to run or should i just settle for like a 156 watt pelt (i think 14a at 12v)

i am still a noob to this pelt stuff

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

sorry, but you will need a second power supply to run a pelt. The pelt will be drawing 20 amps all on it's own, which would leave nothing for your computer, so it won't work. Even if you tried to just run the pelt of of the power supply it probably wouldn't work very well and might fry the supply. If you need 20 amps you should get a supply that is rated for at least 25 to be safe.

It depends on what cpu you have and it's speed and voltage, but the smaller pelt might not have enough power to cool your cpu. If the processor puts out more heat than the pelt can transfer, things will just get hotter and hotter. This will probably be an even bigger problem with just air cooling on the pelt.

Your best bet is probably to build or buy a supply that can handle the 226W pelt.

I do not know how good this PSU is...but it is supposedly big enough to run a system AND a 226w pelt...

Enermax EG851AX-VH 660w

"This is also one of few supplies on the market with abundant amperage on the 12v rail to power a 226w TEC and your PC, thus eliminating the need for an additional power supply."

I personally like PC Power Cooling PSU's...but even with one of them you would be stressing it with both a pelt and the system...

i have a Enermax 550 EG 651P EPS rated ps with "36" amps on the 12v rail, and it's not nearly enough !!! my mcx462+T wouldnt go below 40c idle, and thats a bad *** PS ! they need their own power. but be damned if i'm going to spend "another" whack of cash on Peltier cooling .. screw it ! it on to water cooling for me next. ive had my fill of TEC's ! anyone want to buy a slightly used MCX462 with 226 watt Pelt ? ;)

ohh yeah i know i will need to use this psu solely for the pelt
but i was wondering if it would be safe to pull 20a from it when the +12v rail is 20a?

glock19owner, that psu looks sweet but i am slightly broke and even if i wasnt i am not going to pay $250 for a psu

i was looking to replace the psu i am using with an antec true power 550 $100 on newegg
and use the psu i have now for tecs

magick_man said:
ohh yeah i know i will need to use this psu solely for the pelt
but i was wondering if it would be safe to pull 20a from it when the +12v rail is 20a?

glock19owner, that psu looks sweet but i am slightly broke and even if i wasnt i am not going to pay $250 for a psu

i was looking to replace the psu i am using with an antec true power 550 $100 on newegg
and use the psu i have now for tecs
i'm not to sure how your going to rig a ATX ps up to use solely for your TEC, but when you do that should be enough for that pelt .. maybe (crosses fingers) and i would appreciate you letting me know how your going to rig that ps to work by itself so to speak ???? (without being attached to a mobo) very curious, as i have a spare 480 watt kickn around ;)

20 amps output and 20 amps draw is a little sketchy, might want to give it some room. You shoudl be able to power it with a power supply for a computer, I don't see what the problem with that 36amp power supply. Just make sure to run more than 1 line off of the power supply to the TEC(because one 18gage wire cant handle all the current)

Burnt_Ram, did you hook it to the yellow or red wires? red and black will give you 5v not 12v:)
I ran my 226 on 5v one time just for the heck of it, I got about 35c load temps on my overclock:)

Jon

JFettig said:
20 amps output and 20 amps draw is a little sketchy, might want to give it some room. You shoudl be able to power it with a power supply for a computer, I don't see what the problem with that 36amp power supply. Just make sure to run more than 1 line off of the power supply to the TEC(because one 18gage wire cant handle all the current)

Burnt_Ram, did you hook it to the yellow or red wires? red and black will give you 5v not 12v:)
I ran my 226 on 5v one time just for the heck of it, I got about 35c load temps on my overclock:)

Jon
yellow and black ;) and as for my 36 amp enermax not running it. i dont think there was enough amperage left over for everything else after the TEC used 20-25 amps. i even went as far as to take out my 5900 and put in a PCI card to up the watts and amps, just to see. it still wouldn't go below 40c idle ....

Last edited:
Burnt_Ram, It's pretty easy to run a pc power supply without connecting it to the motherboard. On the ATX power connector there is a green wire, just conect this to Ground (any black wire) and the supply will turn on. You also need to put some load on the 5V line for it to work properly, but that is about it.

matttheniceguy said:
Burnt_Ram, It's pretty easy to run a pc power supply without connecting it to the motherboard. On the ATX power connector there is a green wire, just conect this to Ground (any black wire) and the supply will turn on. You also need to put some load on the 5V line for it to work properly, but that is about it.
thx for the info :) i might try that tonite on this old Axio 480w 21A 12v rail pos ....

yeah i was going to do that and just kinda tuck the psu somewhere off to the side and power the tec
and replace that psu with a shiny new antec true power 550(100 at newegg)

~Magick_Man~

ok, got the old Axio hot wired .. that was easy ! ;) now. how many black and yellow leads do you guys think i'll need to tie together to get enough amperage outa this puppy ? couple do it ?

Edit: i just relaized that i totally hijacked this thread !! sorry magick_man ! i got all caught up in the TEC issue again ... thought i put that behind me. LOL guess not :rolleyes:

Last edited:
well the only reason you need to use more than one wire is because of the huge amount of current going through them. They are actually connected to the exact same place in the powersupply.

I am not sure what the wire is rated at, but I am sure that you need at least 2, and more is probablly a good idea. The more wires you use, the less current there will be in them, and the less the resistance of the wires will be. This means less wasted energy and a colder TEC. You may as well connect as many as you easily can, probably 4 or so depending on the supply.

What are you using to load the 5V rail?

matttheniceguy said:
well the only reason you need to use more than one wire is because of the huge amount of current going through them. They are actually connected to the exact same place in the powersupply.

I am not sure what the wire is rated at, but I am sure that you need at least 2, and more is probablly a good idea. The more wires you use, the less current there will be in them, and the less the resistance of the wires will be. This means less wasted energy and a colder TEC. You may as well connect as many as you easily can, probably 4 or so depending on the supply.

What are you using to load the 5V rail?

im not using anything to load the 5v rail .. yet .. any suggestions ?

A resistor will work ok for it. Find about a 5 Ohm resistor, this will draw about 1 amp of current from the 5V rail, which I think is enough to make things work.

I have often used hotwired powersupplies to run things only at 12V, but from what I have read if you try to use them like this for and long time, they will die. Apparently they need some load on the 5V line to turn on and provide the right voltages as well.

matttheniceguy said:
A resistor will work ok for it. Find about a 5 Ohm resistor, this will draw about 1 amp of current from the 5V rail, which I think is enough to make things work.

I have often used hotwired powersupplies to run things only at 12V, but from what I have read if you try to use them like this for and long time, they will die. Apparently they need some load on the 5V line to turn on and provide the right voltages as well.
lets see if i have this right ;) the 5v rail is just on the other side of the molex 4 pin connector ? if so i could just plug a 5 ohm resistor into the other side of the molex connector ?

will a 226 watt TEC that is ratted 4 24v and 25qamps max be able to run on a 450 watt PSU at 12 volts or will i also need a second PSU this is to cool my 9800pro. As it will be a 400watt or a 300watt powering the TEC. I also might be interested in making my own TEC PS. Guide please.

Back