• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamspiced

Well....

I never really made an introductory post, being that i am from a few other boards i should of known better... shame shame...

First off i was directed to your site after watching a vid of some super cooled computer... cooled by Liquid Nitrogen..... pretty badass...

anyways i built my first computer in november, its the one i use now... pretty awesome for my n00b comp..

Amd Barton 2500+
DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra 2 Revision B
Radeon 9600pro
ThermalTake Silent Boost
Aspire Xdreamers2 case
TDK Dvd +/- Rw
maxtor 160gb Hdd
756 Mushkin Ram

Anyways, ive since inquiried reguarding Drive Bay LCD's (which i still think are badass), and general Case Questions...

After doing some reading i thought id try to beef up my Barton's rather meek optimal running Ghz from a 1.86 to a nice 2.0ghz+

with minor tweeking i easily got it to 2.0 but i wanted to get it further...

all ive been doing is beefing up the Bus Mhz and the Core volt to accompany it.. i kept the dram ratio 1:1

so far i have it at a bus of 200mhz and core of 2.0 volt.

what programs do i need to know the temps of everything, whats good temps, bad temps, etc.

how can i make this more stable? every now and then if i try to reboot it will just hang......

any other tips?

Great forums too BTW... very well arranged... i cant wait till i get to 100posts... i need to buy a laptop for the upcomming semister...

oh yea btw, im going into my 3rd year of college at Wayne State University in detroit Michigan, where i am pursuing a PHD in Psychology.

What is your ram rated at? pc2100, pc2700...

Motherboardmonitor5 is what you will want to download for all of your temps.

Good OC'ing temps are atleast below 60, ideally the further under 50 the better.

To get more stable run prime95 to stress test your components and make sure they are all still good and stable - it is important to know what is limiting you so that you can overcome it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :)

well i became a member of the seti team so do i still need prime95?

i downloaded mbm and as soon as i ran it i got beeped at...i hate getting beeped at... so i assume somethings wrong :-/

CPU Diode 70
CPU Socket 56
Case 42

dont got a clue whats what....

thanks for the welcome :)

oh... and how do i what my ram is rated at? i forgot what i bought back in nov....

CPU temp is far too high brother, back off the vcore pronto, and ease up on the FSB a little too until you get better cooling on that hot potato. ;)

Your diode temp should be under 60C.

If you can take out the ram or just look and see the numbers and letters printed on the black rectangular chips on the stick that might tell us what kind of sticks you have.

Hamspiced said:

all ive been doing is beefing up the Bus Mhz and the Core volt to accompany it.. i kept the dram ratio 1:1

so far i have it at a bus of 200mhz and core of 2.0 volt.

Wait a minute... you run 2 volts on the core to get to 200 mhz fsb:eek:

Did you try lower voltages first? What kind of cooling solution do you have? You really should lower your voltage until you get better cooling, 'cause 70 degrees Celsius is WAY too high. A safe load temp is 55 degrees Celsius max.

Please try to run at lower voltages and run Prime95 to test stability. A good method of overclocking would be to raise your fsb by 3 mhz increments at STOCK voltage and see if Prime runs without error for, say, 10 minutes. If so, reboot, enter bios and up the fsb some more. When Prime fails, raise the voltage one increment and run Prime for at least 2 hours to test stability.

Repeat process untill your cpu maxes out at a reasonable voltage, and remember to watch your temps while Priming, to see if your safe.

Good luck!

yea... i lowered it back right away...

i have the ram set at a 1:1 ratio and i lowered the bus to about 190 and the votls to around 1.75

still though.. wouldnt mind it higher...

If your cpu is unlockable, you should unlock it. You get better oc'ing with the multipliers on the barton 2500's. There is a mod you can do (it's probably stickied in this forum) to unlock the multi on that chip if it's not factory locked. If you built it in November, it's probably moddable.

well man gimme some info...

im prett ynew to it but i run that seti program.. that will put the cpu under the load.. i downloaded Sandra to check my times.. that program Motherboardmoniter is annoying and i dont lik eusing it.... but yea lets see whats up

I'm not sure exactly how it's done. You have to connect a few of the bridges to unlock the multi, assuming your processor is not factory locked.

I've never done it, as my barton is pretty new and my older processors are pallies which don't oc well.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that have done it on these forums who can give you better info, or you can google it. The 2500 Barton was a VERY commonly unlocked/overclocked processor. It's a great oc'er, with people often getting 2.4 ghz out of it.

Back