• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Barton 2500+... WOW!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tiribulus

Registered
I posted a couple of questions here last week about Barton core cpu's because I'd been away from the game for a little while. I got my mobile 2500+ yesterday and on refrigerated water it'll cruise windows @ 2807!!! Loops 3dmark @ 2720!!! 1.9 volts @ 2720 and hovers around 28c under load. Bus speeds are quite unexciting on this kt400 board, but still gives me 6600 and a little change in 3DMK03. Obviously the modded 9800pro is largely responsible for this as well. Can probably get a little more wit hsome time. For 90 bucks an un-frickin-believable processor:clap: Thanks to the guys who helped me out on this.
>>>--Tiribulus->:D

Bus is only 170 and I haven't run prime, but played UT2K4 for a couple hours with no problems. 16x170. I haven't bought a new board in a while, but I'm gonna wait for pci express/new gen vid cards and get a 64 and all the trimmings.

These mobile cpu's are way outta hand. Runs way faster and COOLER than any AMD processor I've ever seen. I remember when the AXIA/Y and AYHJA/Y Thunderbirds were all the rage (had a few of those) and these stomp all over those, though the 3-400 overclocks on those were a good percentage too.

when u raise the fsb and drop the multi u will not get as high. i can get over 2.5 on my tbred 2400 at 1.95 volts on air with just the multi it does jack 4 score though. With FSB i can only hit around 2.42.

If I had a board with good bus potential I'd see how high the bus will run and then use the highest possible multiplier I could with that bus speed. I'm not sure what you're saying here. When you say "score" , if you mean 3DMK score then higher bus speeds will give you better scores all other things being equal. In fact a lower core speed will do better if the bus is fast enough. I'm only amping the multi way up because I have no other choice with my board.

melon_stunner said:
2.7Ghz what is that in XP terms? XP3500?

That is two thousand seven hundred and twenty actual millions of instructions per second. No sarcasm intended:rolleyes: This is not the AMD performance rating. Sandra tells me it's Pentium rated @ just shy of 4 ghz. This would be like 4200+ or something in AMD performance terms. Just a guess.

melon_stunner said:
I want to cross over to the other side, which motherboard, and CPU should I get to ensure a good overclock?

XP2400/2500/2600M? These are factory unlocked right?
Only the MOBILE versions are unlocked. The specimens that AMD can run @ 1.45 volts (for the 2500+) are labled as Mobile Athlons. I just learned all this myself though I've been overclocking for 5 years. Worked kept me sidetracked. IMHO if you're looking to do major upgrades I'd wait for pci express, the new video cards and get an Athlon 64, but it probably won't OC above stock nearly as well, in fact it definitely won't. If you're looking for a toy for now, I'd grab a good Nforce2 board with a couple of sticks of high end memory and a Mobile Barton 2500+. The 2500's, from everything I've read, do just about as well as the higher ones. newegg has em for 90 bucks.

Last edited:
makes us think of what AMD's stock prices would have been if they released these processors from the beginning of the bartons.

Also makes you wonder what would've happened if they hadn't superlocked the desktop versions.

melon_stunner said:
2.7Ghz what is that in XP terms? XP3500?

100Mhz P4=66Mhz AMD, so 2700/66*100= XP4090+, although AMD would probably round it down to a 4000+

Back