• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the first 5 letters, IQYHA etc etc, which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
many of them overclock well. i have never owned an I stepping, but have a 35w and a 45w A stepping chips, and both do 2.6-2.7 on air.

on air:
2.4 is guaranteed

2.5 is a sure bet

2.6+ slightly above average performers

hope that helps.

pershoot.

not garrented if you have one like mine. 2500m iqyha 0347 tpmw.

does 2340 stable at 1.85v. cant go any higher vcore or mhz.

fireburster said:
not garrented if you have one like mine. 2500m iqyha 0347 tpmw.

does 2340 stable at 1.85v. cant go any higher vcore or mhz.

woops i stand corrected.. sorry bout that.. on average though...

I've heard a lot of people having lower clocks with the TPMW for whatever reason. The MPMW of the same stepping seems to clock significantly higher.

OC Detective said:

Dont get me started on that subject again!

LOL, that was quite a discussion:)

But I wish I knew what those last 4 letters meant. They can't be just random letters.:confused:

The P and W are fixed - one thing i have generally noticed is that over time from the introduction of a model the 3rd letter of the 4 appears to move further down the alphabet. My theory on it was that somehow it was related to voltage required (as a process matures the voltage required at a given frequency may reduce - case in point mobile bartons compared to the initial desktop bartons) this is indicated by the change in this letter (letter A needing higher voltage other letters indicating less voltage required). Pure speculation of course!

OC Detective said:
The P and W are fixed - one thing i have generally noticed is that over time from the introduction of a model the 3rd letter of the 4 appears to move further down the alphabet. My theory on it was that somehow it was related to voltage required (as a process matures the voltage required at a given frequency may reduce - case in point mobile bartons compared to the initial desktop bartons) this is indicated by the change in this letter (letter A needing higher voltage other letters indicating less voltage required). Pure speculation of course!

You are correct.... those letters *are* fixed...but you are wrong about the voltage.

45W = FQQ4 (standard)
35W = FQJ4 (my low power 2400+)

Whole stepping:

AQYHA:0409SPMW
AXMD2400FJQ4

Sentential said:

You are correct.... those letters *are* fixed...but you are wrong about the voltage.

45W = FQQ4 (standard)
35W = FQJ4 (my low power 2400+)

Whole stepping:

AQYHA:0409SPMW
AXMD2400FJQ4
No you have misinterpreted me I mean the 3rd letter of the "SPMW" or "MPMW" code not the FQQ4 etc.

Actually i dont know whether 64's are following the same stepping layout but would be interested to know if earlier ones (pre 2004) followed a similar pattern.

Here is an example of a Barton upon release - note the 3rd letter is A. (Obviously not all of them were A's upon release just like now not all of them are M's - but that very fact rules out anything chronological as an explanation).
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020610/index.html

Back