• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 63C under load ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tengard

Registered
Recently bought a AMD 2500 CPU and was just wondering if 63C is a little too high for a stock CPU? Case temp is at 38C and I have been running Prime95 torture test for about an hour.

Any thoughts?

That's way way too high. You should be getting about 48c load with stock cooling. Remove, repaste, remount your heatsink/fan.

for load that is too high, although AMD may say differently. under 60 and u should be ok. 55c max is best in my opinion.

the stock heatsink is not very good. you should try to get an aftermarket sink and fan. some AS5 would be nice as well. that should bring your temps down. good circulation within your case as well (i.e. adding some case fans, tieing up some cables, etc.).

pershoot.

Yeah, 63c is too high.

The stock HSF that ships with the newer AMD processors isn't actually all that bad (the old ones were terrible). If nothing else, take off the HSF, clean the thermal goop (alcohol works) off of the HSF/CPU and replace with AS3 or AS5. Even Radio Shack is suppose to have good thermal goop. Should see a big drop in CPU temp.

Also you might consider putting a few extra in\out fan's in your case to drop you overall system\case temp.

2500+ is capable of running in mid 30's at stock when idle, and low 40's on full load with stock air cooling. Problems could be:
1. heatsink/fan wasn't installed properly, resulting in ineffective contact/transfer of heat.
2. case is small, lacking fans to blow out the hot air inside of your system.
3. you live in a desert.

since motherboard temp seems to be okay, what i believe to be a problem is #1.

I say it's too high but your CPU can survive at that temp for a while, it's life is shortened though. People here usually freak out when someone says they hit 50 C lol. My recommendation is to get some ceramique or AS5 and apply it well, and maybe lap your HS as well. Definetly increase ventilation though :D

Thanks,

I will repaste my cpu and HS and see what happens.

gee guys , you keeps saying its to high. You forgot the fact that its 38c case temp.

Tengard, how is your room temp? You should check on your case air flow. If your room temp is 30c then you should definitely look at the air flow. In that case, head over the cooling section, read some stickies, read some others posts, and post your specific question? Note: DO NOT post " my case temp is too high what to do? "

What thermal grease/paste are you using? Generic white goop?

2500+ is capable of running in mid 30's at stock when idle, and low 40's on full load with stock air cooling

The problem with this claim is that he has no idea some ppl DONT live in his house and have the same case , same board , same air flow LOL. In no way, you can claim such thing.

Anyway as always i recommend to use a better thermal grease such as ArticSilver3 or ArticSilver5.

I have a duron@2ghz, 1.5v and it runs about 40c with my 2500+'s cooler. I lapped it, and found it had a copper base hidden inside. Of course, my room temp is in the lower 30's right now. In the winter, I was getting 32c full load.

My room temp was 30, my case temp 35, my xp2550+ with stock cooling at full loading was 55C

The motherboard is a Matsonic MS8188E. Nothing fancy, but it is not my overclocked system. The thermal paste I am using is just the generic stuff that comes on the heatsink. My case temp is 38C and at idle the CPU is in the low 40C range. Under load it shyrockets to low 60C range. My 2500 mobile in my other system runs great at 2200Mhz at about 52C under load so I figured it was quite strange for a stock 2500 to run so hot. I will repaste and see what happens.

On a different note is there a tool made that eases the process of taking off the AMD heatsinks? The Intel heatsinks are so much easier to get on and off. I always fear damaging the motherboard with the effort it takes to unclip the AMD HS.

Thanks for all the help, sure helps a new guy out!

63C is too high, even under load. I've seen many athlons become unstable at around 60C. I would try to get it down to 55C ABSOLUTE MAX under load. It depends on lots of things. Make sure:

1) You have the heat sink seated in the right direction. The raised corner of the base of the heatsink should coincide with the raised plastic of the socket.
2) You used a THIN layer of thermal goop. Don't put it on with a trowel. Silver compound is better than cheap white goo or phase change material, and much easier to clean off.
3) You have cleaned your heat sink and fan to get rid of dust.
4) Your fan on your heat sink is running at normal speeds
5) You have both intake (bottom) and exhaust (top) case fans.
6) Your room isn't too hot.

Sometimes you just get a mb that is hard to work with. I have an Athlon XP2100 in an Asus a7a266 motherboard. I have an all copper heatsink with a high power fan, 2 vantec tornados, one high power YS fan, an exhaust hole custom modded onto the top of the pc with a fan, an intake custom modded on the side to blow cool air into the heatsink, and premium silver thermal goop, and I can't get this computer under 56C load in a hot room or high 40's if I open all the windows. Sometimes there's just not much you can do, some mb's are more prone to heat buildup. It's at 56C now and it sounds like it's about to take off.

You should, however, be able to get well under 63C with more aggressive cooling.

I have repasted the CPU and the temp has dropped to around 59C. Still too high. If I open the side of the case she runs much cooler down to around 50C. I have used this case before for AMD 2500 systems and have not had any heat problems. This is my first experience with Matsonic though, perhaps it is the motherboard putting out a higher voltage. I am going to try adding a case fan and see if that helps to keep the temp down once the side is back on.

Is it unusual for a CPU to run 10C cooler with the case open? Seems like quite a drop in temp. There is nothing really restricting air in the case and there are no video, sound or PCI cards installed. I guess I will try routing the cables differently as well.

Thanks again.

if you guys say this is high you ahven seen gateway computers yet.

Seirouly it depends, Tengard where are you from? what is your room temp?

You need to check your case air flow, 38c case temp is high unless you live in the south or dessert.

My room temp is around 20C. MBM5 shows my case temp at 37C and the CPU temp at 50C under load right now. This is with the case open. If I close the case the CPU temp rockets to the low 60s and the case stays around 38C. I find this kind of odd as the case is really quite huge with no extra peripherals in it at all. My second system is a Shuttle SK43G running the same KM400 chipset as my Matsonic system. The Shuttle is clocked at 12.5x180 or 2250Mhz and runs at about 54C under load with the case closed. If I open the Shuttle case the CPU temp does not fluctuate at all, it stays at around 54C. Does my Matsonic system just run hot due to the motherboard or is something restricting air flow in the case. If so what could it be? I have moved all the cables into different positions and still no difference. Could it be a faulty fan on the CPU HS?

Thanks.

If you have good air flow in the case, you should not see a substantial drop in temp when you open the case. I don't see any drop, at all, and some people even have said they see an increase.

If you are dropping 9C from opening the case, you need better case fans. What do you have now? You should have 2 at the very least, one down low for intake, and one up high for exhaust.

Sounds like he would be a canidate for a side mounted fan blowing cool air into the case. Should help push some cooler air to the HS/Fan (A duct would be better.... but that is more complicated, start simple and work from there)

I have no case fans right now. My previous system was a 2500 on a Gigabyte KT600 board in the same case and it ran much cooler. I sold the KT600 and 2500 combo and put the new 2500 and Matsonic board and now the system fries with the case closed. The only components that have changed are the motherboard, CPU and CPU HS. One of those components must be the culprit. I will go out today and throw a Cooler Master Aero HS on the CPU and see what happens.

Has anyone ever experienced a BIOS update that has effected CPU temp?

Back