• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 3200+, 500Mhz+ OC ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

Hi all,

Anandtech recently reached a 2460Mhz clock speed with the A64 3200+ (2.0Ghz stock) by raising the FSB only (23%), and this on stock HSF. This was done with the new MSI K8N Neo Platinum:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2036&p=6

They stated:

"This late 3200+ achieved a new overclocking record on the K8N Neo Platinum at 246FSB, at the stock 10X multiplier and default voltage. This 23% overclock at stock multiplier is more like those that we are accustomed to seeing on Pentium 4. Dropping the multiplier, the highest FSB overclock that we could achieve was the BIOS limit of 300." :eek:

If I am not mistaken, the results could have been even better on an A64 3000+ because technically it should be a bit better an OCer because of the smaller cache right ?

Knowing that socket 939 is coming soon, and that this new MSI motherboard with the Nforce3 chipset will likely be available (or its sister 939 version), is it reasonable to think we can get past 500Mhz overclocks on A64's by raising the FSB alone in the near future? (I'm thinking Thermalright SLK-948u) :clap:

Or did Anandtech just get lucky ? Or did I miss something ? Enlighten me...

Why not? People get these kind of overclocks on current 3200+ DTRs. They are the new CG stepping and clock really well
On the AGP/PCI locked motherboards, the only thing that will limit your OC will be your RAM, and that can be solved by using a divider.
the max FSB I've seen so far on an A64 was like ~340MHz, with a really low multiplier.

What about cpu clock speed max ?

And these new 3200 DTR's, what's the downside ? What kind of overclock can you expect to get on say, 90% of them ? (max clock and FSB)

Thanks again..

Im sure that is the fastest chip you could buy(im not talking super computers), but its not the best overclock. Have you seen the mobiles? Many of them go from 1.73ghz to 2.8ghz with less voltage than a dekstop chip.

My processor reaches higher speeds at lower voltages than just about any mobile I've ever seen. And it does this with an SLK948U with a 10 year old fan(too lazy to install the Torin). If I had the 1.95v that most AXP users enjoy, I'd have her up to 2.9 almost for sure.

The CG stepping is trickling into the non-DTR processors. 2.4 is a safe-bet with decent aircooling. When more oc-friendly boards come out and provide more voltage options, 900MHz overclocks won't be unheard of.

Gautam you put a smile on my face.

My budget will only permit an upgrade in Nov/Dec, but this might be ok given the PCI-e, 939 and 90n cpu's by then.

Great overclock by the way. Just before I checked this thread I was reading your 3200 DTR thread for the second time. Very encouraging results.

I can't wait to open up the A64 myself... :beer:

If anandtech got a 500mhz OC on default voltage then they are lucky, but a 4-500mhz OC with a A64 is fairly common. My 3000+ (CO) can hit 2540mhz at 1.68v (just barely boots into windows, and is not stable), but I run 2450mhz day in and day out perfectly stable. If I had just a little more voltage I bet I could get it to 2.6 or better. I think the main problem has been the lack of many motherboards with working AGP/PCI locks and now with the nforce3 250 boards, we should start seeing better overclocking.

I am thinking of waiting and then buying the new MSI K8N Neo Platinum. Any estimates on when it will be released. I am thinking of buying the AMD 3200+ and hopefully overclocking a little bit.

Jhatfie said:
If anandtech got a 500mhz OC on default voltage then they are lucky, but a 4-500mhz OC with a A64 is fairly common. My 3000+ (CO) can hit 2540mhz at 1.68v (just barely boots into windows, and is not stable), but I run 2450mhz day in and day out perfectly stable. If I had just a little more voltage I bet I could get it to 2.6 or better. I think the main problem has been the lack of many motherboards with working AGP/PCI locks and now with the nforce3 250 boards, we should start seeing better overclocking.
What type of cooling? I can only 2351 with stock....

hrhrhrFOOT said:

What type of cooling? I can only 2351 with stock....

I would assume it's the "SLK948U is the only Thermalright heatsink that works on A64's". -Guatam.

And I wonder what kind of system you are using right now. I could give you some insight if you told me what you're currently running.

I can use my stock cooling to reach 2540, but it is pretty damn hot and nearing 60C under load and keep in mind, it is not stable at that speed at all. I can load into windows and open Internet Explorer and that is about it at that speed. I have since moved on to watercooling and have a Whitewater block keeping things in check at a nice 33C idle and 42C full load at my daily OC'd speed of 2450mhz. Watercooling did not allow me any more of a peak overclock so I figure I need more voltage if I want any more.

Man, this is one heck of an overclock...... 460mhz on Athlon64... that's a lot of performance gain, definitely more than athlon xp's. With nforce3 250, ATI X800PT may actually have a right partner to match up with.

wow the a64s are overclocking almost as well as the moble bartons. I remember alot of people had trouble getting past 2.2GHz on the early a64s. could we soon be seeing 2.5 to 2.8GHz overclocks with socket 939 a64s? god that be sweet to get one from 2GHz to 300x9=2.7

Ehhh, me too, haha.

Still trying to hold back until some more solid motherboards come out. Thats primarily why I have not gone A64 yet.

topslop1 said:

I would assume it's the "SLK948U is the only Thermalright heatsink that works on A64's". -Guatam.

And I wonder what kind of system you are using right now. I could give you some insight if you told me what you're currently running.
Stock cooling with "stars" thermal paste.

wow that is sweet....i want to get a A64 also are the new Fx's clocking as well or what about the opptys as i think that is the rout that i will go if i get an A64.....I want to c that chip under a prommy with voltage mods on that board to give it around 2.0 max......man that would be sick!!!!

Back