• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-M 2500+ or 3000+ for a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oren

A friend at work wants to buy an AMD processor for a laptop. Could someone please briefly tell me what are the differences between XP-M 2500+ and XP-M 3000+? Is it much preferrable to buy the 3000+ one?

Thanks! :)

I can't say that I have ever heard of the XP-M 3000+. As far as I have seen they only make up to the XP-M 2600+, but I don't really follow mobile chips.

The difference will be in their clock speed. The 3000+ will have a higher stock speed than the 2500+. Aside from that I think they will be ideantical. They both use the same Barton core, which is the same core used on desktop procesors as well. (well the new ones at least)

matttheniceguy said:
I can't say that I have ever heard of the XP-M 3000+. As far as I have seen they only make up to the XP-M 2600+, but I don't really follow mobile chips.

The difference will be in their clock speed. The 3000+ will have a higher stock speed than the 2500+. Aside from that I think they will be ideantical. They both use the same Barton core, which is the same core used on desktop procesors as well. (well the new ones at least)

Check this out:

http://212.52.234.17/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspcontent&lid=67&iid=0

AMILO A x620 with Mobile AMD Athlon XP up to 3000+

So I guess such a thing exists...

"I don't really follow mobile chips." Me niether Matt, I'm not a laptop expert, but we'll do the best we can.

Oren asked; "Could someone please briefly tell me what are the differences between XP-M 2500+ and XP-M 3000+? Is it much preferrable to buy the 3000+ one?" "Briefly?" No, not if we provide a competent, knowledgable answer.

The 3000 runs at 2.2GHz, the 2500 at 1.83GHz so the 3000 runs 0.17 *billionths* of a second faster, way to fast for the human eye to percieve a difference. No, not prefereable to buy the 3000 and IMHO not worth the difference in price. Both have the 512K Barton L2 internal cache and shine when doing video editing, graphics or gaming.

Oren, when we talk computer modifications several factors come into play and you gave us no specs to go on. Adding RAM is "the poor mans computer turbo charger" because it plays an important role in speed, so if he's running 256MB's it would be prudent to kick it to 512MB's. Find out if the laptop has one or two memory slots because if only one you'll have to buy one stick of 512MB memory and I'd go with PC2700 which runs about a hundred bucks for a desktop. If he has two slots then ask the manufacturer exactly what kind of RAM is in it now so you can match it up because mixing diferent modules not a good idea.

First thing I'd do is contact the laptop manufacturer and ask questions and four come to mind; Will the motherboard support the new CPU, how many memory module slots, what kind of RAM now in it and will the present cooling fan be adequate for the new CPU. You man find answers in the manual or on line so go to the laptop manufacturers website, find the laptop model and take a look see at the specs. Be a sad day if the cooling fan won't be adequate for the new CPU and you stick it in and it burns up . . . .

If you had given us the laptop name and model we could have done the on-line research for you, but, . . we do the best we can with what we have to work with.

Welcome to OC'ers forum, have a nice day and if you have more questions just give a shout. OldBird

huneycutt said:
"I don't really follow mobile chips." Me niether Matt, I'm not a laptop expert, but we'll do the best we can.

Oren asked; "Could someone please briefly tell me what are the differences between XP-M 2500+ and XP-M 3000+? Is it much preferrable to buy the 3000+ one?" "Briefly?" No, not if we provide a competent, knowledgable answer.

The 3000 runs at 2.2GHz, the 2500 at 1.83GHz so the 3000 runs 0.17 *billionths* of a second faster, way to fast for the human eye to percieve a difference. No, not prefereable to buy the 3000 and IMHO not worth the difference in price. Both have the 512K Barton L2 internal cache and shine when doing video editing, graphics or gaming.

Oren, when we talk computer modifications several factors come into play and you gave us no specs to go on. Adding RAM is "the poor mans computer turbo charger" because it plays an important role in speed, so if he's running 256MB's it would be prudent to kick it to 512MB's. Find out if the laptop has one or two memory slots because if only one you'll have to buy one stick of 512MB memory and I'd go with PC2700 which runs about a hundred bucks for a desktop. If he has two slots then ask the manufacturer exactly what kind of RAM is in it now so you can match it up because mixing diferent modules not a good idea.

First thing I'd do is contact the laptop manufacturer and ask questions and four come to mind; Will the motherboard support the new CPU, how many memory module slots, what kind of RAM now in it and will the present cooling fan be adequate for the new CPU. You man find answers in the manual or on line so go to the laptop manufacturers website, find the laptop model and take a look see at the specs. Be a sad day if the cooling fan won't be adequate for the new CPU and you stick it in and it burns up . . . .

If you had given us the laptop name and model we could have done the on-line research for you, but, . . we do the best we can with what we have to work with.

Welcome to OC'ers forum, have a nice day and if you have more questions just give a shout. OldBird

Hey, thanks for the welcome huneycutt! A bit late, though, as I'm here since February ;) Thanks for the information. I was thinking there might be a difference in the cache size between the two CPUs (as this is what my colleage claimed to have heard; I guess he was wrong), but I see that there's no.

Thanks for doing the best with the little I gave you. I don't have any more information about the laptops considered myself. I'll forward your knowledgable reply to my colleague, and let him sort things out. I'll let you know if I have more information.

I hope I'll get a raise. ;)

Much obliged,

Oren

No problem Oren, glad to help. I have a 2100 256 L2 cache and 2500 512 L2 cache and running day to day apps notice very little difference in speed. *However,* I start graphics and the 2500 cache kicks in and I do notice more speed. 512MB's PC2700.

If the user won't be gaming or running heavy apps and all they do is normal run of the mill 'puter work it's 'prolly a waste of money upgrading from say a 2000 to a 2500 and if they have 256 RAM upgrade to 512 and jam on it.

We're dealing strictly in hypothetics here so get us some specs to go and let's pin it down exactly where they need to go. Gotta' get ready for work so have a good 'un. OB

try searching for amd chip database, it will show 3000+ as DSR laptop chips.
Desktop S(forgot the S) Replacement, which will run as 75W
no point of getting it, as it is pretty much the same as regular bartons 3000+

Back