• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP Barton 2500+ not even oc @ 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b3ta

OMFG

Some Days ago i bought new Hardware

Cpu : Athlon XP 2500+
Ram: 512mb Corsair XMS 3200LL
Gfx : Sapphire Radeon 9800SE AiW Gold @ Pro
hdd : 60gb wd and Ibm 40gb ( older )
board : Epox 8rda3+
Power Supply : 300w Levicom (old :p )

Today i got the corsair ram and i thought i can finnaly oc it to 3200+ (200mhz fsb)

but if i go above 190mhz my system freezes at different places or just reboots

I see the startscreen with bios version cpu etc

but when XP wants to starts - END

i dont know what i can do more

i set voltage of cpu to 1,7 v and ram 2,9 v

no success

i´ve read many threads but i found no help.

hope you can finnaly help me.

Try bringing up Vcore! 1.80 at VCore. Should get you stable.

I think your PSU is at 100% duty cycle if you overclock. The Barton need 250watts at 2.2ghz. you may wanna replace very soon.

be sure if your overclocking to increase your latency times. Say 2cas to 2.5 or 3cas. As the lower cas puts more of a strain on your ram when you go to overclock it. I have the same problems with my P4 system. So try upping your cas latency to 3 and try it again. And keep your ram voltage just a tad higher than stock. as it gives it the xtra juice it needs

PC3200 RAM of any brand should do its stated timings at 200 MHz FSB. I wouldn't worry about the RAM yet.

Try more Vcore. It could be that your CPU just needs a bit more to get it going at higher speeds.

I tend to think though that it could well be a power supply issue. 300W isn't much when you have a power hungry AMD chip, a Radeon 9800 and two hard drives. Bet you also have at least one optical drive and the floppy as well.

Try disconnecting one of the hard drives and CD drive, the lower power draw might help you boot at a 200 MHz FSB, and if it does, you need a better PSU.

not to sound like a behind, but this should be in the amd section...

i know myself and others are tired of posting in the general CPU section and not the brand specific sections...

[/vent]

LMAO....ok anyway...

I suggest a new powersupply. With that kind of stuff you could probably push a 400w, much less a 300w. It is also offbrand, so it probably is your problem. If 1.8v vcore doesnt fix your problem then you should look at your psu. Also, lower than ram voltage! Its running under its rated speed, so stock voltage should do fine.

Overclockers Forums > Overclocking > CPUs > AMD CPUs > HELP Barton 2500+ not even oc @ 3000+

;)

Anyways, be sure to watch your temps as you up your voltage. If you're on stock, i'd highly recommend slapping on some arctic silver on that core or getting a better HSF, although 3200+ should be completely attainable on stock from what i've heard.

The barton doesnt use 250 watts, it uses only 130 or so when @ 2.5ghz 2.2v

Im betting its youre powersupply. 300watts isnt really enough for overclocking, specially whe nit brand v never heard of before.

OCed CPU, 2 disks, nice VGA, 512 megs of ram - that 300W PSU will die (it's even not 250W probably, if U check labels)

Check voltages off molex, 12v line will be probably >13v, and 5v <4.8v. Anyway, I'd recommend trying with better PSU. Other thing - check CPU cooling; even (and especially) the best CPUs need good cooling, so if you'r egetting high temps - check heatsink placement, if it's clean, thermal paste and such things. Eventually, replace heatsink / thermal compound.

WOW
this forum rocks!!! really!

If you can see i am new in here. I never thought off gettin so many answers to my problem.

cool community here.

THANKS ALOT!

i´m byin as fast as i have enough money :p an new psu

hehe, nice to hear (or rather read)

Anyway - my suggestion is to get some knowledge on PSUs before buying one; I think you can get some reliable info on OCers PSUs here.

Personally, I have BeQuiet 400W PSU - it rox for me - very stable voltages and such things, but this one ins't rather for hardcore OCing, but for silence. (Still, I get better OC results using it, comparing to older PSU)

Revoltec BeQuiet and Seasonic PSUs will give you nice silence, when Antec TruePower (of TrueControl, if you have more cash), give decent voltages.

Anyway - you can find enough data on net and proper subforums.

ah cool

i thought i should buy a 0815 psu cause they got so ****ing expensive and i´m not really rich :D

thought of 400 watts but dont know anything about brands.

you were right , i am a newbie in psu knowlegde :D

Back