• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my system...HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimjamspam

Hey guysh...

First of all,

Hello!

I've just built my first PC system (yay!):

AMD 2500 XP
512MB PC2700 RAM (Generic)
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
Radeon 9700 (OC'd - Pro)
Audigy 2
120GB Barracuda HDD
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W PSU

Could anyone help me with overclocking my beast? I know very little about overclocking so any advice would be great!

Many thanks,

jim

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Do you know if your CPU is unlocked (you can change the multiplier if unlocked)? If its not just follow the fsb and voltage part of this.

If it is, just increase the fsb little bits at a time while changing the multiplier in order to keep the CPU at the same clock speed. This is done to see what the highest possible fsb is. All throughout this, you should try to keep your memory at the same clock speed as the fsb, but if you hit a wall, try slowing down your memory to see if it does something for you, if not, keep your memory the same speed as the fsb. Next increase the multiplier on the CPU in small increments. If the system becomes unstable, increase the voltage by .025 volt increments until it becomes stable again. after that, continue increasing the multiplier while raising the voltage at unstable points until you get to a point where voltage will help no more. When you get to that point, decrease your multiplier by 1/2 or so until you find a stable point agai and that will be you maximum OC. Don't increase your voltage to above 1.85 volts as it will probably damage your CPU. The stock CPU cooling will probably not let your CPU reach its full potential. you shouldn't use the thermal pad that comes on the stock cooling as it just sucks ;). You will probably want some arctic silver 5 and an SLK900 w/ a 92mm fan.

Note: any extra cooling is good :D
Note: try to keep your SPU temps under 50 degrees celcius (even if it means opening you case :))

With that system, you should be able to get 2.2-2.4GHz with good cooling and 200+fsb with some good memory. Good Luck!

BTW, very nice first computer! My first computer was a slot A Athlon Thunderbird, AMD 760 chipset, 128mb PC100 SDRAM, GeForce 2 MX, 30GB hdd...OH YEAH!!! :D lol

Your generic PC2700 RAM probably won't get you too far upping the FSB and you probably have a locked barton, so you will be limited.

Ri0 said:
Your generic PC2700 RAM probably won't get you too far upping the FSB and you probably have a locked barton, so you will be limited.

I wouldnt say that...just depends on the chips on the ram...I have PC2700 kingston value ram that will run at 215 (11-3-3-2.5) at 2.9v's and these have the Inf. chips...which could be concidered generic ram...

Thanks for the help people!

I have a small update for those that are interested...

I have applied some artic silver 5 and used a Thermaltake Volcano 11 to help with the overclocking.

I will try out some of the pointers you gave me and come back with another update!

Back