• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! CPU wont boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peteb

I know this a very basic problem for you guys, but I'm unsure how to continue.

I'm (very) new to overclocking, for a 'quick' boost I've increased clock speed to 200mhz (from 166), tried to boot and machine is dead.

Cleared CMOS and tried again - still dead.
Not sure if the CPU has locked up, the mobo has blown or something less drastic.

Running: MSI K7 delta mobo with 2700+ XP.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I doubt you caused permanent damage. See if there is a way to manually force the bus speed down using jumpers.

The Good News, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!

The bad news, you just toasted your bios chip. Get another bios chip and do a hot flash if you want to keep your board.

Thanks for the help guys. As the machine will not boot at all to allow any changes to be made, I'm going the new BIOS chip route.
I forget to mention originally that the BIOS also had the 'High Performance Settings' active as well when I upped the fsb, which may/may not have contributed to the problem (might help someone else in the future).

Thanks again.

may not be lost yet take all the leads off everything battry as well and place it on a sheet of tin foil over night ....

then throw the tin foil away and put youre board back in and boot up ....its helped me b4

Back