• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 cpus???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMightyBuck

Banned for being a BAD TRADER aka a Troll
i've always wondered......

i know 2 cpu's don't give u 2x the performance.....

but if i have a 2.5 ghz tbred....

and a rig with 2x 1.5 ghz tbrbed,......

witch would be better? basically, i don't know a damn thing about dual procs, ,....... and am wondering about the benefits/performancec/drawbacks.

arent they only good for multitasking? 1cpu for 1 proccess...

thats how I thought it worked.

It depends on your usage... For non-multithreaded games (most all) the single proc would be better because it is 1ghz faster than either CPU in the dual. If you are constantly using things that load your processor but would also like to do other things at the same time, then the dual would be better.

For average usage, a dual system isn't better than a single processor system that is 1Ghz faster.

A dual can allow you to run folding at full load 24/7 and still have the computer be responsive to whatever else you use it for. You can encode a video and game at the same time... Try doing that on a single CPU rig.

my rule is workstations should be dual processor, but anything consumer related should be single processor. if you play games, play music/videos, surf the net you will be better with a single cpu rig, but if you actually WORK on a rig you should have a dually with plenty of ram.

Back