• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA says AthlonXP's are supported by my MG, AMD says not. Who's right??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Go with your motherboard site, not amd's. Recommended is not the same as supported, and AMD doesn't update their charts every time gigabyte upgrades bios on one of its products.

AMD dont keep up with every mother board maker

id say as long at the mother board maker has a list and specs they should be good.

or if you wanted to email the motherboard maker and maker sure it will work , or look around the forum for ppl with the board and see what they got for it

Also dont froget, just cuss the mobo Manfacturer says it supports xxx, doesnt mea a higher model wont work either.

Asus says my A7v333 rev 1.02 only supports a 2400+ and 2600+ (266fsb cpu's) and any barton or cpu that runs on a 333fsb wont work.

I called them they said it to me also, i stuck my 2500 in the thing and ra njust fine

That's reallly unusual. The chances of your 266 mb functioning flawlessly at 333 is really low. You also have PC2700/3200 memory though, so you aren't oc'ing that at least.

In most cases you can go over the stock frequency, but not anywhere near that much.

Back