• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashing: Palomino 2100+, NF7S and Buffalo: help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sinajahn

All I want is a stable system.
But BIOS is too crazy for me to understand.
Just received 2 sticks of Buffalo 3200s and hooked up to my Abit NF7-S.
I've got an XP Athalon 2100+ and it should all work together but... it doesn't.
Can't do Sandra burn-in test: crazy beeping noises til I unplug the system.
Can't play Call of Duty: freezes indefinetely.

Can someone please, for the love of god, walk me through the BIOS setting steps? I tried the 'agressive' setting (mild OC?) and now I'm back to 'optimal.'
Please explain 11-3-2-2.0 and proper settings for optimal memory intensive (i.e. gaming/video editing) performance. Please note that I am ignorant and you might have to hold my hand while walking me through...

Why can I NOT even run Burn-In utility? I don't know...
Please help!

Just run it at SPD. If you get that working, tweak it some more.

Test the ram with memtest.

I've been trying the various methods to attain system stability, but get this: I run memtest an it's all good for 800% coverage etc. But then I try to run Sandra's burn-in and I'll immediately get the long beeps. This is when I'm SPD and super-stable settings. But I'll try to open and run Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and play a movie simultaneously, and it's all good; nice and quick. So either I'm doing something way wrong, or 2100 Palominos and Buffalo and NF7-S aren't good friends? (sigh)

As of right now, the only thing i can say is read the mobo's manual. You must have hooked something up incorrectly, or set up the bios incorrectly also. If you want to build your own PC, you must learn how to play with the bios.

I also just receive my NF7-S mobo today, and will hook up my rig tonight. I will see what I can do to help you later.

Back