• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo for my 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Since I upgraded to a mobile 2500+, I need a new mobo for my 1700+ palomino (yes yes, i know).. I don't want to spend a lot of money, no overclocking needed (maybe).. the chip is locked and i have done nothing to it.. would the k7s5a do just fine? what is the cheapest board that will run this chip? a board with onboard video will be fine too, unless people still sell old video cards..

Depends what you can find that's still available. Of course more current m/b's will usually be backward compatible, but not necessarily the cheapest. The K7S5A would probably be fine, if you get it up and running OK. Something like the A7S333 (SiS 745 chipset) or A7N266-VM (nForce 1) would also fit the bill, if you can find one at this point.

thanx guys.. think I'll go with the MSI onboard video, rather then the k7s5a + a cheap video card.. its for my gf, so she'll be happy with the upgrade, I am also giving her the 1700+ and 256mb mem.. that will be enough for her since she is going for her masters, its a big step up from her celeron 500..

Back