• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im stumped...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

namanut

Registered
i have been having troubls getting my system to be prime95 stable at 11-2-2-2 timings at any mghz with a higher FSB than 203.
its a 1700+tbred in an 8RDA+3, corsair pc3200LL bh5's (that do 220FSB in a friends pc with the same board with same timings) we both have true control 550's, nothing robbing juice from the board. i think its either cpu rlated or power supply....but im stumped, any ideas?
It will sometimes finish a benchmark at 210-215 @11-2-2-2 at as high as 2580mghz....its prime95 stable at 212x12 but at 11-3-3-2...i have no probs running high mghz on prime but anything over 203 or 204 at 11-2-2-2 prime stops with ususally a rounding error

well i have a hame made kinda air i guess...I got a dryer duct running from my a/c vent to a 120mm case fan thats right my case side over the cpu fan...at 1.90 volts it gets 38-41C at full load...it stays way cooler than my friends pc.I'm also figuring its not the board because if i change to 11-3-3-2 i can boot in , run prime up to 220 or so, so that would liminate northbridge problems right? I also have a spare 8RDA+3 that does 230 and finishes benchmarks with that ram at 11-3-3-2, the common parts in these 2 systems are the power supply and cpu. and vid card

oh...duh...900U with a 90mm tornado sry bout the spelling up there....gg fingers

could this be a software issue? or maybe my windows has been corrupted kinda? I game alot and its stable for games @11-2-2-2 rock solid up to 215 but prime and benchmarks kick out...

Welcome to the forums - I think you are looking to deeply into this issue. It is merely that the RAM performed better in the other set up (irrespective of cpu temps) - the fact you can run 2-3-3-11 at higher FSB kind of proves it is a ram limitation on your set up. I assume you have maxed out VDimm?

perhaps ram needs some better cooling as well?
take off the heat spreaders?
up the voltage

ive had some problems getting 11 2 2 2 on one of my sticks(bh5)
with my 2600m past 217fsb even with max 2.9v
would pass memtest but poop out in prime

7 3 3 2 and 11 3 3 2 at 2.8v werked just fine

hrmm but non mobil 2500 with other bh5 does 217fsb
with 11 2 2 2 2.9v all day and night

when u put ure bh5 in ure friends board
did u also put ure 1700 with it or use his processor?

emmm u could have some corruption
if u fergot to use memtest each time u tryed a new setting
and that setting was unstable

though if u can get prime to werk at a known stable setting
then u know at least that proggie aint messed up i suppose

have u tryed single channel vs duel channel with ure tests?

in ure cooling set up do u also have a small duct from the case fan to ure heat sink fan? that set up got me a few degrees cooler

p

thanks for the ideas peeps...Yes my voltage is at 2.9(the most i can go on my board) and no i didnt try my cpu in his setup. The heatspreaders ar off the RAM and it gets plenty of airflow from my casefans (2)120's, just one is turned off right now and i got all the holes in the case plugged to keep the cold air in :)

I would definately try changing memory banks as certain combo's can prove much better than others. Another thing to remember is that no 2 boards are alike and while one could do 220 another might only do 200. Are your boards the same revision? I know there were several revisions of that board and like the sbit boards the latter versions generally do much better than the early revisions.

Edit: if nothing works to get your timings lower, just use 2-3-3-11 @ 220 a higher fsb is equal or better than 2-2-2-11 @ 200. It really doesn't make that much of a difference unless sandra mem bench and 3d mark is all you use your computer for.

Back